No treatment for you, fatty...

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: No treatment for you, fatty...
Dec 08, 2005, 14:46
It's not that I don't like being disagreed with - this board is here in part to share info but also so we can find people with whom we disagree to intelligently test our ideas.

I relish being proven wrong - whilst I'll have reasons for any position, I'm sure I can't be right on everything and so I want to find the wrong bits and jettison them.

I didn't see Lemon/Manao/Hongnam do that to me or anyone else. He'd state his position and when there was a point put that contradicted it he wouldn't deal with why the counterpoint didn't stand up. Instead he'd restate his first point. If things continued, he'd slur the integrity of the person challenging him, usually by picking a side-issue from the topic under discussion.

If it was pointed out that this is what he was doing and it wasn't actually dealing with the point, he'd simply repeat himself. This last tactic made him look sillier the more he did it, which makes me believe it wasn't deliberate use of crooked strategy but that he's never figured out how to follow a line of argument or how a debate is structured.

I want to be disagreed with - either I can show the other person why their position doesn't hold water, or they can do it to me, or we make each other find the truth in the middle. But that takes respect and clear thinking from both sides, rather than heated gladiatorial phrasing and crooked logic which prevents any of us from evolving our ideas.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index