U-Know! Forum »
No treatment for you, fatty...

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: No treatment for you, fatty...
Nov 25, 2005, 09:32
To be fair, it is more dangerous to have an anaesthetic if you're overweight, so people (as it says in the article) are always encouraged to lose weight before they can have an operation of any sort?

Does your attitude towards your own health not count at all? I mean being fat is (generally) something you can do something about. (not that I ever get down the gym, but that's my own laziness, not a medical impossibility). And if you're an alcoholic and you need a liver transplant, isn't it your responsibility to try and stop being alcoholic so the liver isn't 'wasted'? If you're a drug addict shouldn't you try to get clean so that the treatment you're getting for some illness isn't a waste of time when you fall dead in a ditch the next day of an overdose?

I don't regularly write to the daily mail or anything. But surely if you have to make a choice between giving some new lungs to two people, you don't give them to the person who swears they won't be giving up smoking. I know there shouldn't have to be a choice ideally (and that#s about organ donation limitations, not money, which is maybe what replacement joint surgery is down to)

Anyway I agree it might seem like the beginning of a slippery slope. But surely people are not ever going to be arguing that ill people shouldn't be treated if they're ill because it's too expensive.

Hmm . Controversial. Go on pull this to pieces.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index