U-Know! Forum »
anti-vivisectionists on medication?

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: anti-vivisectionists on medication?
Sep 08, 2005, 17:11
You may be at least partially right there, but I'm not so sure about your assertion that animals kill each other for fun rather than sustenance. It seems to me that most animals, in the wild at least, kill each other purely in order to survive. There are indeed some cases in which this is true of humans killing animals (e.g. in order to develop potential cures for life-threatening diseases such as cancer or AIDS). Somehow, though, I can't imagine wild animals dressing up in ridiculous costumes, getting ratarsed on sherry, tootling horns and spending hours chasing each other through fields as part of a social ritual.

Of course, if anyone has any examples, I'm happy to be proved wrong ...

One other point I would make about this whole argument is that only a couple of people so far have attempted to make the distinction between vital medical research to cure life-threatening and debilitating diseases (which I'm in favour of, providing it's VERY strictly monitored and the profit motive is removed) and the majority of medical research which goes into producing slight variations on products with which the market is already saturated (eg cold, flu and headache remedies). Surely we don't need any more of those?

Finally, as Nat ponted out, surely if we're going to subject animals to painful experiments in order to benefit ourselves, surely the poor buggers deserve to be treated with some consideration and respect before and after being tested? How can anyone possibly justify puching and kicking tormented animals that are kept in tiny cages and never exercised (thereby causing cxonsiderable mental torture) in order of subdue them so that they don't scream too much whilst they';re being tortured. Forgive me if this is a sweeping statement, but anyone who deosn't feel even a pang of conscience over such an issue is a desensitised wanker who deserves to be tortured themselves. People who torture animals in order to get gratuitous sadoistic kicks are BELOW animals on my evolutionary scale.. They may be nominally human, but I certainly don;t coiunt them as part of my species.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index