U-Know! Forum »
anti-vivisectionists on medication?

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: anti-vivisectionists on medication?
Sep 08, 2005, 07:01
"It's a case of weighing up whether the ends justify the means and that certainly isn't a B&W issue."

Exactly.
And no, BSSM Steiner, you're not in the wrong place to discuss it.
But any of us stating it in black and white terms isn't helpful. "All animal testing is wrong, end of story" is a personal choice, not something that the rest of society "ought" to believe or need feel guilty about not living by.

A line has to be drawn between "useful" and "revolting". But where? Personal choice I'm afraid. I'm alive because of animal testing - and damn grateful and not guilty (though I might be if i knew the details - but would I have refused treatment if I'd known them? I doubt it.)

Strict controls to restrict suffering to the minimum necessary, yes. Whatever that means. But wrong? Who has the right to say that? If people are going to say SOCIETY as a whole shouldn't benefit from testing they oughtn't to make reference to what THEIR choice is, but should apply the "child test": me, I'd happily club a million bunnies to save my child. The law should proscribe my clubbing to the least revolting possible, but prohibit me? Naah.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index