This topic is locked

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Re: In praise of the obvious
Aug 23, 2005, 12:45
Yes. Maths. Its there. It's in everything. All you have to do is look. It's not mysterious. So ? The fact that you can use maths to spot ratios in a 'sacred' site means, well, fuck all really. Our units of measure may be wholly different to the ones used to make the site (if any at all, as symmetry doesnt exactly need an amazing grasp of math) but we can find positive correlations. er.. so ? You don't say, I am jacks total lack of surprise. Do you have any grasp of math ?

Pi may be an incredibly interesting number (probably moreso than you realise. It's an irrational and transcendental number) but its discovery isn't in and of itself gobsmacking. Any reasonably intelligent group of people, (capable of drawing a circle, a marker, a stick and a length of string, not exactly tricky), with a penchance for measuring stuff is going to find it.

Pi's transcendance (lindemann proof 1882) actually means that one of the geometric problems of antiquity, 'circle squaring' is impossible. The circle cannot be squared in euclidean space but it can be in Gauss-Bolyai-Lobachevsky Space. So... even if they knew Pi it wouldn't have solved the problem, so it's hardly surprising that there isnt in fact incredible accuracy in said sites but darned god approximations. all of which, I'd like to add, can be a result of a systematic building process using simple tools (such as crop circles) and without much knowledge of pure math.

I'm an inforamtion theorist, I do a lot of this kinda shit.

Get yourself a copy of
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486242978/qid%3D1124796293/026-0136402-3991622
Lots of good stuff on Squaring the circle in there. at least then you'll 'know' what the real issues are in the geometry of ancient sites.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index