50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: To manao
Aug 13, 2005, 18:29
"you may have time to trawl through internet dating sites"

Oh you are a card. Even the addition of "good luck". Very nice touch. An announcement of "I was thinking of uploading a photo to 'Soulmates'" becomes a revelation that I "have time to trawl through internet dating sites". Ooooh... it sounds so wonderfully sleazy. The use of the word 'trawl'.

Actually, you're not lemon... you're Tony Blair and I claim my 10 pounds. That was an excellent spinning of my words.

As for checking up on you... I may have given you the false impression that I spent much time thinking about you, manao. I just said that I knew you weren't a site admin in disguise or someone they knew... as in "and that new manao bloke, you know who he is?" "No." "Ah... anyways what were we talking about?"

I know I'll regret this. But as a matter of interest, what makes you like this site so much? I understand why you might use HH... it's a community after all. But U-Know! is *specifically described* as a place for "Righteous talk & Direct Action". That's the brief. That's why people choose to use this place. You however have simply expressed the opinion that "it won't achieve anything" every time direct action is mentioned. Given that we're not goldfish and probably don't need reminding *every single time* that you have a low opinion of Direct Action, why come to a Direct Action message board to express it?

And given that the distinction between "righteous talk" and "self-righteous talk" is only actually made by those wishing to knock down or insult the talker (there's no objective way of distinguishing the two after all), it mystifies me why you'd want to spend so much time in a place where the entire raison d'etre is something you clearly dislike.

The people here want to discuss Direct Action in a constructive way. That's what this forum is for. Why it was programmed and provided free of charge. By making sarcastic comments each time they try, you are essentially making it a less pleasant place for everyone and creating an atmosphere in which some people are less eager about posting (I'm less likely to "talk righteously" / "self-righteously" if I think I'm going to get called a self-important twat for doing so... but even if that wasn't you; your sarcastic tone creates problems for lots of folks)

Now, if you were arguing that people were going about Direct Action protest in the wrong way then perhaps that tone could be (just about) tolerated. But you don't. You merely say "Oh, that'll work!" and then when nobody rises to the bait, post again some days later to inform us all what we already knew "That was sarcastic by the way" (real fucking classy that). You're in the wrong place if you don't want to talk about Direct Action or engage in Righteous Talk. If you like, I'll talk to Holy and ask him if he can arrange for an auto-post to be made, say once a week? would that suit you? It could say simply "manao disapproves". Or maybe "manao thinks you're all great" to be followed up with "that was sarcastic by the way" a few hours later.

Then you wouldn't have to come here at all and waste the valuable time you clearly don't have to spend trawling websites. Your entire contribution could be summed up with such an auto-post after all.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index