Re: Galloway actually wanted the oil
May 12, 2005, 20:24
Well I found some more info about this.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1482679,00.html?=rss
Lugia
970 posts

May 12, 2005, 21:01
Hmm...sounds like another fabrication of America's infamous Republican Noise Machine. That ugly memo that's turned up over in the UK (but which continues to go virtually unreported in the USA) must have them pretty scared if they're dropping blatant spin stories like this into the Brit press now.

And that really does seem to be what this is. It's got that 'smell' you can tell a mile off.
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 12, 2005, 21:32
All those sneery 'conservative' commentators have been whining and sneering about the 'oil for food' cconspiracy for years. In fact, I find it not particularily credible. At an age when the same dipshit columnists won't take their beloved president to task for bicycling while the White House and Congress is being evacuated.
Lugia
970 posts

May 12, 2005, 23:40
To say nothing of cooking all of the intel data necessary in order to start a war, and then broadcasting some of the most egregious lies since Wm. Randolph Hearst's provocations against Spain in order to whip the public into a panic about things they knew never existed.

Damndest thing, that memo. It's bound to guarantee us months of distractional news (like this) and other similar water-skiing squirrels. And god forbid anyone should mention the word "impeachment"...
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Re:Gorgeous George
May 13, 2005, 01:07
That's what he's called in the Scottish press (that'll be the Daily Record then!)
He has spent his whole career sidesslipping from one piece political shit to another.

As far as I can see the American Commitee and GG deserve each other and if his acceptence speech in the election is anything to go by the whole thing will be a 'Hoot!'
Wiggy
1696 posts

May 13, 2005, 09:11
He increased his majority in Glasgow after the press got stuck into him last time, so a guess a few Glaswegians (maybe those who have met him or heard him put his side of the story) must like him. The people of Bow were also convinced.
His book wasn't that bad - at least he wrote it himself.
Let's not forget just how easy it is to be duped by the media and political classes - remember all those stories about how Kinnock was on the take? Had to laugh when it eventually turned out he was the only EU commissioner who wasn't robbing us blind.
OK, GG has a touch of the "Derek Hatton" about him, but there aren't many politicos I would say are good, trustworthy and without ego - maybe only Tony Benn springs to my mind at the moment.
Galloways involvement in middle eastern politics goes back a long way and is rooted in old fashioned idealism (like they used to have in the Labour Party) and you will find comments from GG which are critical of Saddams regime in Hansard.... Galloway may have been stupid in his choice of words to Saddam (the only time he ever met him one to one - for about 2 minutes), but he was there to try and avert a war - unlike the many western politicians who went before him to sell weapons, secure oil, and attempt to destabilise Iran.
Of course the bastards going to turn out guilty now and I'm going to look a right twat! Oh well, that's politics.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 13, 2005, 09:51
>> He increased his majority in Glasgow after the press got stuck into him last time

He hasn't had to stand in Glasgow since the 'last time'. In fact when he were kicked out of the Labour Party he kept insiting that the people of Glasgow would vindicate him by re-electing him. Of course, he never gave them the chance...
Wiggy
1696 posts

May 13, 2005, 10:34
OK, hard to keep track of all the attacks on poor old Gorgeous George. I was talking about all the stuff back in 94 - 96. I think he went on to double his majority despite being something of a bette noir for certain segments of society.
Yeah, I admit he would have found it a lot harder to hold on in Glasgow as an independent - people tend to vote along trad party lines, especially with the kind of electoral system we have, but I bet he would have made a good showing.
And lets face it, he's performed a small miracle winning in Bow (easier than Glasgow I admit, given the demographic) and the first thing we hear is that hectoring bbc idiot (who everyone seems to think is a great journalist for some reason) Paxman giving him grief about unseating a black woman!! The Today programme followed that up the day before yesterday with a complete non - story about how nasty George is for taking the seat off King! For Crissakes!! If so many in the establishment are so determined to bismirch the man I just think it's worth giving him a chance.
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

May 13, 2005, 10:40
It has to be said that his furious denials of all this on TV yesterday m rning might have seemed a bit more convincing had they not been delivered from his Portugese villa...

Still, I wish I could get C-SPAN, the US senate TV channel. 'Hoot' doesn't even cover it - that hearing's going to be a big slow-motion train wreck...
Wiggy
1696 posts

May 13, 2005, 11:19
I've known a fair few ordinary working class people about the same age as Galloway in manual trades save up to buy properties and time shares in Potugal/Spain.
And lets face it, it's not like the "New" Labour party isn't stuffed full of middle class greedy yuppies - the bandwagon/gravy train they so cleverly spotted was the inevitable Labour resurgence of the 1990's - my Dad's Dad took part in the hunger marches of the 1930's and I reckon he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what Madelson and co have done to the Labour Party.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index