Guantanamo Bay Releases Confirmed

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Guantanamo Bay Releases Confirmed
Jan 12, 2005, 20:03
I think, lemon, that you are misunderstanding the situation.

These men have been held without charge by the US military for three years, during which time they have been in a legal limbo without any representation or right to self-defence. Most people accept that at least some kind of torture has been used during the interrogation of these people. That's wrong. Any way you cut it, that's just plain wrong.

You say:
>
> If they were not doing what the americans
> think they were doing then great, they
> should have some kind on compensation for
> having three years of their lives taken away.
>
Well, I suspect there's no chance of them getting compensation. America decided to arbitrarily define them as "Enemy Combatants", remember? In other words, a declaration of "Look, we set the rules. We'll do what we want."

>
> If they WERE doing what is suspected of them
> then they deserve to have much more than
> three years.
>
Really? Just what was suspected of them? This is the root of the issue, lemon. They've never been formally charged with anything. No accusations have been made. Even *they* have never been told what they're under suspicion of (aside from being "an Enemy Combatant"). So how you can even discuss what they may or may "deserve" is beyond me.

>
> I don't know them, and don't know what they
> were doing so am not going to pass judgement
> ether way. Neither do you by the way.
>
That's true. But let me tell you what we *do* know. We know that the US military has captured a bunch of men from a foreign country. They refused them any form of representation and essentially made them "disappear". They then spent *three years* interrogating them, perhaps even torturing them and presumably investigating them thoroughly. During all this time; with mounting international pressure; with all the resources at their disposal, and against a suspect to who they had denied any form of defence, the US military has *still* been unable to gather enough evidence to even charge them with anything.

Let alone secure a conviction.

It seems to me that the ONLY evidence we have that these men have done anything wrong at all is the judgment of whatever scared 19-year-old kid in camo-gear it was arrested them in Afghanistan. And that's just not enough.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index