the indian ocean.

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daveid
9 posts

Re: phuket island...
Dec 30, 2004, 15:10
Don't know who you are ron, but.....
If you don't want to make a donation at least stand up and be counted, that goes for everyone. MAKE Poverty History is not after your money just a few moments of your time. Register for everones sake enough is enough.

Today, the gap between the world’s rich and poor is wider than ever. Global injustices such as poverty, AIDS, malnutrition, conflict and illiteracy remain rife.

Despite the promises of world leaders, at our present sluggish rate of progress the world will fail dismally to reach internationally agreed targets to halve global poverty by 2015.

World poverty is sustained not by chance or nature, but by a combination of factors: injustice in global trade; the huge burden of debt; insufficient and ineffective aid. Each of these is exacerbated by inappropriate economic policies imposed by rich countries.

But it doesn’t have to be this way. These factors are determined by human decisions.

2005 offers an exceptional series of opportunities for the UK to take a lead internationally, to start turning things around. Next year, as the UK hosts the annual G8 gathering of powerful world leaders and heads up the European Union (EU), the UK Government will be a particularly influential player on the world stage.

A sea change is needed. By mobilising popular support across a unique string of events and actions, we will press our own government to compel rich countries to fulfil their obligations and promises to help eradicate poverty, and to rethink some long-held assumptions.

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY urges the government and international decision makers to rise to the challenge of 2005. We are calling for urgent and meaningful policy change on three critical and inextricably linked areas: trade, debt and aid.

1. Trade justice
· Fight for rules that ensure governments, particularly in poor countries, can choose the best solutions to end poverty and protect the environment. These will not always be free trade policies.
· End export subsidies that damage the livelihoods of poor rural communities around the world.
· Make laws that stop big business profiting at the expense of people and the environment.
2. Drop the debt
· The unpayable debts of the world’s poorest countries should be cancelled in full, by fair and transparent means.
3. More and better aid
· Donors must now deliver at least $50 billion more in aid and set a binding
timetable for spending 0.7% of national income on aid. Aid must also be made
to work more effectively for poor people.

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY is a unique UK alliance of charities, trade unions, campaigning groups and celebrities who are mobilising around key opportunities in 2005 to drive forward the struggle against poverty and injustice.

www.MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY.org
mats
15 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 15:35
Well Ron..more than 120 000 people have now been confirmed dead across south Asia following Sunday's tidal wave disaster. Don't know how it is in England or USA but for Sweden this could be the worst disaster ever. 1000 swedish tourists are still missing and probably dead. This is a nightmare.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:02
Same in the UK hun... it's devastating news for countries all over the world.

I'm one of the lucky ones, my friend is safe and my work colleagues parents have contacted her and are ok. There are still people on head heritage (amazon for one) who still hasn't heard from her friend.

I sincerely hope that Ron has an apology for his comments made.

Thoughts and prayers to all.

Nat x
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

C'mon then 'Ron' explain yerself...
Dec 30, 2004, 16:31
Unless Ron reappears soon do we assume he a) Thought it was just a few rich people in hotels who 'deserved it' or b) Thinks 120,000+ people were guilty of some unnamed crime or c) Has gone to hide under a rock never to return.

I still have no idea what on earth sparked his outburst, and, to be honest, his lack of an explanation rather makes me think it's a combination of a) and c). However I tend to think the best of people so it could just be he's a cunt (sorry).

My best friend and his girlfriend (fortunately) travelled from Thailand to Vietnam a few days before the 'quake and I'm still not sure if a Dutch friend of mine was out there at the time. None of them deserve to die in a natural disaster anymore than anyone does.

So 'Ron' what's the deal?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: C'mon then 'Ron' explain yerself...
Dec 30, 2004, 16:35
Well if he doesn't explain himself here, he's going to be sat in Row D (front rowish) at the Royal Festival Hall in January!!! So we could ask him personally in the Foyer or maybe we should ask him to stand on the stage before Julian comes on and explain himself in front of everyone!! I for one can point him out to you.. (Mind you I've got no idea what you look like, so I'll just make a big sign and hold it up... THIS IS RON!)

I certainly would like an explaination for this.. even if it's 'Sorry I was pissed I didn't mean it' (still not good enough, but could explain!)

Nat xx
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:36
your surname isn't Atkinson perchance?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:39
I may hate much of humanity but it's not that I wish harm on innocent people I don't even know. OK I got in troble because I had been so angry about this vile Iraq war and the never-ending support for it and Bush in my country and I've said some pretty rotten things myself I'll admit. And a troll gave me problems over it, not that I'm sorry at all but. If I post vile stuff it's usually in reaction to people who are themselves vile. But saying people who die in massive natural disasters deserve it is just plain cruel.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:43
....LoL
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:48
That'd be cool. Tell you what, just in case anyone missed it we could re-post his thing up on all the other forums under the heading 'what ron said' then get a whole load of 'THIS IS RON' signs and point them at the....oh....there appears to be an empty seat on row D....

Unless we get an explanation anyone outside the RFH should be on the lookout for a suspicious looking character in one of those 'glasses and moustache' combos trying a flog a 4th row ticket.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Dec 30, 2004, 16:52
LOL!! Top Ron Spotting Tip.. he's American, he wears a leather Harley Davidson jacket signed by Julian and if he had a moustache he'd look a little like the painting of the "Laughing Cavalier" (well thats what I think anyway!!)

I'll just make up a huge sign like the 'Golf Sale This Way' and follow him round all night!! :o)

Ooooo I'm a bitch.. sorry!! ;op
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index