That's a big burger

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: a couple of links...
Sep 26, 2004, 14:53
OOOOOH, dunno about that - my potato and chick pea curry is FAB! Indian food is, owing to Hinduism and things, largely vegetarian and that makes them experts, as far as I'm concerned, in producing nourishing and tasty veggie meals.

Thing is, I'm a HUGE fan of pulses (even though I'm far from vegan) but because of their upbringing, often as not, loads of people have a massive aversion to vegetables and feel all icky when they see them on a plate in front of them. Now it is possible to change your tastes (I couldn't stomach parsnips, for example, til I was in my twenties, but now LOVE 'em) but convincing people to eat stuff they've found inherently disgusting for years and years is a tough call.

Curries though - you can't go wrong!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 14:56
It's not all nut roast and stuff aubergine, thank the gods!

One of my faves is a vegetarian lasagne. You see I really don't like the taste of most vegetables and so my choice is limited. But a good strong sauce really does help! :-)

A lot of meals (apart from things like a Sunday roast) hide the flavour of the meat anyway, so substituting it with another bulk with little taste doesn't make a great difference to a dish. Substituting it with a bulk with some flavour can radically improve the overall taste.

Things such as cheese & spinnach filled ravioli are pretty damned good too ... yum :-)

How about a jacket potato every now and then? Get the filling right and it's sublime ...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 15:00
Yep, curries fall well into the 'sauce hides the meat anyway' class of dish - sometimes I don't see the point in the meat being there when there are substitutes that compliment the flavour of the sauces much better. I do love a lamb biryani though (sorry).
baza
baza
1308 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 15:35
But 'curry' is an English dish. As far as I'm aware, the only 'curry' you get in the States is Jamaican goat curry, and they got the name for it from us.
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 15:40
I think 'curry' is a colonial era distortion of 'Korai' which is the name for the wok type thing they are made in.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 15:41
Very, very few vegetarians "rant and rave or preach at folks who aren't vegetarian". I don't, usually - and as far as I can see I haven't on this thread, although people have 'ranted and raved' back at me. We all know that we are, unfortunately for the animals, in a very small minority. Daminxa wrote something which hit a nerve and I questioned her about it.

:o)

Baz
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Korai
Sep 26, 2004, 15:52
Indeed it is. The very saucey curry that we see these days was developed by the colonial Brits to hide the taste of putrifying meat.

That aside, it's still a really nice meal :-)
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Korai
Sep 26, 2004, 15:56
.....and the 'balti' originates from Ladypool Road, Birmingham, named after the bowl used in Kashmir.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 26, 2004, 16:03
Ah, but they do. Being a vegetarian yourself you are unlikely to see it that way or be on the receiving end of a rant, so I understand your belief that not many veges do it.

I, like most people, would take phrases like 'Why do you eat the rotting flesh ...' as verging on the preaching side of things. As soon as you get emotive, rather than objective you cross that line. Abruptness, especially when combined with emotive phrases, is ranting in most people's books. I know, I do it all the time myself, but I'm trying to give it up :-)

I haven't got the will power to become fully vegetarian I'm afraid. I haven't even got the inner strength to stop smoking, which is also killing people around me, so the thought of animals dying to satisfy my addictions is hardly going to stop me is it? Likewise it's not the arguement that will stop most people.

For me, more than anything, it's the disproportional use of resources and the thought that I am depriving other people of food that is the main factor in reducing the meat content of my meals. The animal rights part does come secondary to that issue.

Subsidies for meat farming need to stop! Then people will realise the true price of meat. Until it hits them in the pocket few will listen.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Korai
Sep 26, 2004, 16:05
doesn't that mean that 'balti' originates in Kashmir?

<running>
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index