40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: interstellar overdrive
Jan 09, 2004, 20:42
some nebulous thoughts...

I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm 100% against humanity in space - I don't have a fully formed opinion on it. I suppose its an entirely natural thing, in a way - evolution calling? All of life, including ourselves, came from the seas, and I suppose that these first tentative steps outside of the atmosphere are comparable with our ancient journey out of the water. Or look at Eurasian history - they just found evidence to prove that Siberia was inhabitted 30,000 years ago. Whenever the ice retreated humans pushed into the uninhabited and inhospitable lands that were uncovered, only leaving them when the ice advanced once again. I guess its human nature to push beyond the limits of your immediate environment. But still that leaves me uncomfortable: that argument could be easily summed up in the words "to boldly go where no-one has gone before". Which brings us to Star Trek - surely a myth of what-America-would-like-the-future-to-be, if ever I saw one. And I have to say that if that future came to pass and I was on that ship then it would be as a space-age Fletcher Christian. I accept that my dislike of Star Trek probably isn't a good argument against the space programme, mind you! (whilst standing by my point: that Star Trek gives insight into the ideology that drives the space programme.)

FourWinds: that's one of the most convincing arguments I've heard in favour of humans in space. I pray that they crack nuclear fusion before its too late.

Spaceship Mark: I love that Tintin story (& all Tintin stories), too! I've been a keen reader of science fiction since an early age.

All in all? I've still not managed to produce a rounded opinion on any of it!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index