Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

More Milk Facts
Nov 28, 2003, 16:12
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/lmtancre/doc2/milk.html

More nutritional and comon sense proof that we are freaks for dairy products.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: More Milk Facts
Nov 28, 2003, 16:28
I ate a whole angel delight the other night and it upset my stomach. I put it down to the milk.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Nov 28, 2003, 16:37
Ooh...Angel Delight...butterscotch?

x
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Vanilla?
Nov 28, 2003, 16:41
Wonder if U can make Angel Delight with vanilla soy milk, which is my favourite alter-milk? :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 28, 2003, 16:41
chocolate. I was trying a different one. Didn't match up though. You can't beat butterscotch.

What a pig.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 28, 2003, 16:42
Ooh you can't make angel d with soya milk. It doesn't set. It's very disappointing. Neither can you make it with skimmed milk (or if you water down the ordinary milk if you haven't enough). Strange but true.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Nov 28, 2003, 16:46
Oh, I didn't know that. I make mine with semi-skimmed. I'll have to buy proper milk especially for butterscotch and see the difference. Thanks!

x
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 28, 2003, 18:28
Hmmm... I admit I tend to drink milk occasionally. I like cheese alot, I know I wouldn't give THAT up. I wonder if there are substitutes that have the same amount of calcium and stuff?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Substitutes
Nov 28, 2003, 22:13
I'm no Dr but I found this:

We need about (adults) 1000 m/g of calcium a day.

These foods give:

Less than 100 mg of calcium

1 orange

1 cup of sweet potatoes or green beans

1 cup of cooked lentils, chick peas, navy beans, or pinto beans

3 ounces of shrimp, crab meat, or clams

100 - 199 mg of calcium

1 cup of cottage cheese

1 cup of cooked dandelion greens or kale

3 ounces of canned salmon with bones

1 piece of tofu (2.5" x 2.75" x 1")

200 - 299 mg of calcium

1 cup of cooked broccoli or turnip greens

1 cup of oysters

300+ mg of calcium

8 ounces of yogurt (flavored or plain — plain has much more)

1 cup of cooked collard greens

3 ounces of canned sardines with bones

I think a definitive book needs to be written, as so many Drs say milk is 'natures calcium' and stuff like that, yet so many nutritionists (veggie biased ones) say that milk is the devil incarnate.

Disregarding (for a moment) the ethical and practical horrors of the meat and dairy market, I think the truth about nutrition needs to be known, especially with biggies like milk and orange juice, which some Dr's say are just fat and sugar and worthless compared to other foods.

Headspin, marketeers, advertising age, what do we really know? I know I get milk cravings and vit C cravings, is this my body telling me, or my brain tricking me?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Maybe
Nov 28, 2003, 22:17
And I think more likely, that MILK is, and has been the 'substitute' for all the foods we should be eating, and all the other bad sodium rich foods we eat just deplete the calcium we get from other stuff. A varied veg/nut rich diet is surely better than a milk and meat diet? Anyone know anything about dietary evolution?
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index