Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Using force
Sep 10, 2003, 23:18
So what city are you in? (Not the UK?)

I used to live in Chicago . . . yuck. And that's considered a very "livable" big city. There are actually trees and grass and parks and stuff. Not like New York or Detroit . . . I remember visiting Brooklyn and the only green to be found were weeds growing in the subway vents . . .

But then there are those who think NYC is "wonderful" and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. To each his own I suppose.
morfe lux
301 posts

Each his own
Sep 10, 2003, 23:25
The windy city? I met a girl from there recently who said that the Chicago skyline was the most beautiful of all US cities.

We live on South Beach, Miami, a so-called paradise, of the stinkiest nature, with the greatest disparity of wealth in a small area than I've seen since I lived in Cheltenham, UK. As long as one can ignore the homelessness, shootings, displays of great wealth and shallowness and bent politics, one can have a nice swim once in a while ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Each his own
Sep 10, 2003, 23:36
You know the "windy city" isn't called that because of the wind off the lake . . . it's because of the wind from the politicians (this is truly the where the phrase originated 100 years ago!) Don't even get me started on Chicago politics . . . !

I don't know if I've ever been to Miami -- I imagine it's something of a "frontier town" though.

And because it's got nice weather year-round it attracts lots of homeless people from all over the country. Which is always one option "out of the system."
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Whoops.
Sep 11, 2003, 12:03
"I'd prefer you to object to something because it's a bad idea, rather than because I don't have the theoretical or actual means to hand? "

HA! nonsense. whats the bloody point of naval gazing ? If you're not prepared to work out how to make it happen why should anyone listen to you ? I suppose you'll say something like you don't want people to. And no I'm not saying do nothing FFS, did you read the last paragraph. Fight, fight like a bastard, but under no illusions. These things take time.
stray
stray
2057 posts

And...
Sep 11, 2003, 12:05
If I actually was saying do nothing it would be a damn sight better than what you're saying in 'this is what should be done... er.. but I've no idea how we should get there'
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Each his own
Sep 11, 2003, 13:26
Homelessnes is NOT out of the system, and it's also not usually a life choice, or pleasant.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Wibble
Sep 11, 2003, 13:30
Yeah, but political movements and ideologies of those people still libe on today. I can't believe we're trotting through the basics of revolutionary theory here. I thought we'd reached a point when they were a given.

Are you actually proposing that reformism is capable of producing an equitable and just society within the framework of a capitalist economic ? It can't, the problem is the inherent competition/reward system of capitalism. There is no evidence that reformism can work to produce what you're asking for. And as for law, well, law would prevent me getting within 200 yds of your 'theoretical' missile with a spanner. Reformism will not change the law and hand me a spanner, nor will it destroy the missile. you want to get rid of war, you have to get rid of competition, you have to get rid of capitalism.

Capitalism without competion is NOT capitalism.
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: And...
Sep 11, 2003, 15:25
Now you're being plain rude Stray. I'm just chucking around ideas because I know fuck all about politics. I'm not afraid to get my nose bloody or look like a twat, and I still stick by my resolution that it's better to know 'why' and 'what' before 'how'.
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: Whoops.
Sep 11, 2003, 15:38
"HA! nonsense. whats the bloody point of naval gazing ? If you're not prepared to work out how to make it happen why should anyone listen to you ?"

OK, I throw my hands up guilty of typing as I thought as I sat. I shall go away and think A: whether violent revolution and the toppling of trading is the best way. Or B: whether we can actually revolutionize the way we buy and change the world via education and example.

I may be gone some time. Thanks Stray, for calling my ignoramus a dolt.
morfe lux
301 posts

How dare you
Sep 11, 2003, 16:02
from Stray:

"Diddling with things to improve how people behave without completely destroying every aspect of the current world economic system is futile."

One rule for one, one rule for all? So tell me how we are to destroy every aspect of the world's current economic system? Like you say, it would have to happen inevery place at the same time?

And why should I listen to you if you can't be bothered (sic) to work out how it is done? Or were you, perchance, just talking, like me? I like listening to people's ideas, it's one of life's joys, to hear people thinking. The worse thing in my mind is to hear the silence of pride and supposition, so I'll keep on thinking out loud thanks.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index