11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: "African-American" Tag
Jun 05, 2003, 15:52
Thanks FW for the reply.

i agree that tags can be bad, if they are the be all and end all of a persons identity. I use tags in context, sensitively and sensibly i hope. there are certain things about the qualities/attributes of people that are unique to them and will never be mine and vice versa, i don't mind that and wouldn't want to disrespect anyone elses identity by somehow ignoring it or equating/comparing it, you know like if it came from being anything from a child of migrants from the caribbean - empire windrush style, or an asian migrant from amin's uganda or a largely provincial white british man with a bit of jewishness in his heritage.

i hope that i am part of the community that is the human race, but that doesn't necessarily stop me from being a head and part of this community, and in someway attached to the other parts of my families history as well. i can do both/and rather than either/or, i'm not trying to exclude anyone but i am unique just like you!!

i'm not resposible for what my imperialist forebears did, i do end up feeling bad about stuff that my ancestors did, but that's past. however the most important bit is what i do now, for that i really am accountable, do i perpetuate injustice and bigotry, do i support greed and selfishness or is it part of my journey to fight that?

In closing FW, I'd agree that me tagging you is bad, who I am to define you, I am only an expert on me. Great to have a good discussion on here rather than flaming some tossy spammer

U-Know! Forum Index