"African-American" Tag

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: "African-American" Tag
Jun 03, 2003, 12:03
I am well noted for my over simplistic and idealistic view on things, to the point of impracticality.

But you raise many good points:

Oscar thing: Yes. A great moment. I really can't argue with that.

"When people don’t feel they are from any one place they lose respect for their environment and the common good and just become morphed into globalised americanised culture."

Why can't that *one* place be the planet Earth? This does not necessarily mean that a "globalised americanised culture" must be in place to be this way. It is avoidable, but we have to take action to avoid it. Unfortunately, most people are just here for the ride.

World Music etc.: Yes, sadly it is being crushed by the desire of tallented people to acquire the vast sums of money available via pop-stardom. However, just like people have become an encapsulation of their heritages (?) music has too. You can see the influences of 'world music' in many modern forms of music. Is it right to say that this music or that music must remain pure? Sounds a little iffy to me.

"Who wants to be part of the inane vacuous cultural TV ... "? Not I. But life is about taking different experiences, good and bad, and combining the lessons learned. This should include a melding of cultures too. Unfortunately, it is always the money making aspects that get used and the good bits thrown away.

Starbucks et al: Again aspects of culture change. Culture change has been both inflicted and taken on board gladly for thousands of years. It is the infliction that is the problem here, not the changes.

I know all the above is idealist and in today's world it ain't gonna happen and that it can never be that way.

There's nothing wrong with being 'one people' as long as it's the 'one people' that we 'the people' choose, not one that is foisted upon us.

U-Know! Forum Index