"African-American" Tag

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: "African-American" Tag
Jun 03, 2003, 10:43
I have a real problem with any 'tag', whether it's self-imposed or not.

Applying a tag to yourself is just doing it before somebody else does. The need to differentiate yourself from others is bad - no matter what side it comes from. It still says either, "I am this and you are not, nor will you ever be", or "You are this and I am not, and I never want to be."

My kids are multi-heritage. Mum was half Egyptian, half Cornish. I have Viking, Romany, Scottish and a bit of British royal blood in my veins. I only apply two tags to my kids: 'People' and 'My (sometimes lovely) Daughters'. Ok, sometimes I call them by a few different names :-)

Perhaps I don't like it because I could only really define myself as being "white British", but for obvious reasons I am not allowed to say I'm proud of that. Not that it is something to be proud of historically speaking, but can someone be proud to be white British today? Will the day come when white British or white European will ever be a good thing?

It should not be forgotten that when white Europeans first tagged themselves as different from the African, Asian and American nations we put in place a mechanism whereby we enabled the slave trade etc. to be acceptable to the majority.

Tags are bad. Everyone has an individuality and should only be tagged by their own personal character traits, not where they or their ancestors had the luck/misfortune to be born.

<let the slagging and the slating commence>

U-Know! Forum Index