The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
GeoCaching

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kaipaith
27 posts

Re: GeoCaching
Jan 22, 2003, 12:33
Yeah, and it was soon realised what damage was done by burying those caches, and they were subsequently banned.
moey
moey
770 posts

HAHAHAHA
Jan 22, 2003, 12:38
Well they might have fancy GPS gadgets (always wanted one meself) but they can't do grid references - the one listed for the Dod Law Bucket / Ammo Box is a nonsense -

N 55° 34.611 W 001° 59.290 (WGS84)
British Grid: NU 843 31461

I'd be a bit dubious about opening ammo boxes in the Cheviots meself - lots of live old ammunition keeps turning up.
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Re: F***!!!!!
Jan 22, 2003, 12:41
Hey calm down,

It's just a game similar to Letterboxing - Dartmore has survived quite well with that being done for 100 years or so. To repeat - no burying, no damaging of the environment just a small box hidden unsees somewhere.

The reason for the games success is that people can go for walks/visit interesting places whilst taking their kids on a "treasure hunt". It gets them out into the open where they can apreciate our history and environment.
Kaipaith
27 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:42
Why the fixation on buckets?

Again, I've never encountered one (and nor have I ever encountered a cache that was in plain sight either).

Actually, nevermind. I figured you would all be a friendly bunch, and open to new ideas, but you've all made a judgement about something before you've had any experience of it - the website gives great info, but you've taken one little piece of that information, and applied it to every conceiveable scenario in a deropgatory manner.

Alas, you are most definately not the friendly people that I would have expected (perhaps I have been spending too much time with Geocachers...) and having looked around the Mod Ant site, I must say it is a fantastic resource... but the forums will be avoided by me like the plague.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Oh,thanks
Jan 22, 2003, 12:43
Perhaps I speak for many at the modern antiquarian when I suggest that perhaps the site itself provides interest and excitement enough - you don't need boxes full of 20th century tat (er 21st century tat) to make the visit fun
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:49
We are friendly, but we're just extremely passionate about the prehistoric monuments of this country (er and Ireland) and the merest inkling of them being spoilt sends us into fits of anger.

If you're visiting them, visit them for the experience, not for the satisfaction of matching a grid reference on your gps.
Kaipaith
27 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:53
No, but it helps you to find those places (many of which are often not considered to be interesting enough to be listed elsewhere, but still provide a nice experience), encourages children to join you, and provides an extra challenge while you are there.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:58
I see there's one local to me, on Little Solsbury Hill. Which isn't so bad because it's a big place - but this is what's in the box:

The original contents are; a small bottle of brandy, a packet of water bombs, a set of juggling balls, a magic trick, a novelty sharpener, a log book and pencil.

Oh, just call me an old misery.

But, for some of the other sites locally, you just have to get the coordinates yourself of a place that's the answer to a puzzle, and that's the aim. Not starting an alcoholic children's party.

I don't see the difference between leaving a box and leaving a plastic bag full of picnic detritus. That's my problem.
Kaipaith
27 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 13:02
I know I said I wouldn't post, but I read the previous message, and felt I had to...

From the Geocaching guidelines...

"Please! No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs. Let's keep this safe and legal."

Therefore, I would suggest that you report that cache to the webmaster. You may do so by either sending an email to mailto:[email protected] or by registering, and posting a note on the cache page that it should be archived.

I would suggest the former, as it is highly likely that the first person to find the cache would have taken the alcohol out. That said, the person who hid it should be informed that Brandy is not a suitable item for a family sport.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 13:05
I certainly always find treasure when I visit a site (and I visited over 650 last year!) ... that treasure is the site itself. Add the site to the experience of getting there and the views you so often get treated to, then there's your treasure.

The excitement is going to catalog a site that was last looked at seriously 150 years ago. Wil it still be there? Will it be good or bad? And what will I see from the location .. what made these people build it *there*?

I may be wrong, but I reckon the majority of folks who participate in the Geocaching do not even consider these as being valid questions. It's like train spotting - I don't care who's on the train and what they're doing as long as I've got its number ticked off in my little book.

If it doesn't damage the terrain - that's good. If it gets kids out - that's good. If it isn't Letterboxing then that's definitely good. But personally, I need reward of the site itself to go there and no a box of 'stuff'.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index