GeoCaching

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kaipaith
27 posts

Re: GeoCaching
Jan 22, 2003, 12:21
Fair enough...

Actually, it was more the profanity that I was referring to as grotesque (on a public forum, no less) but put in context, I can sort of understand your attitude.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: F***!!!!!
Jan 22, 2003, 12:22
It would be great to know what's there. Of course, I reckon anything found with valuables in should be taken to the police. Someone might be looking for it :-)
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:25
I thought Holy had removed their stuff - just looked at Mod Ant site and its still there - flippin Churches!
Pagan Dawn
Pagan Dawn
65 posts

Oh,thanks
That makes it alot better cheers.
So when my little boys find a ammo box next time they play hide and seek at Avebury,i'll know not to worry-being on the brink of the final world war and all that.

cheers mate.
If Pete sees you or any of your friends ,he's gonna kill ya !

have a nice day

concerned of wessex
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

I used to know people who *DID* go around burying stuff for treaure hunting when GPSs first became affordable and I know they were early participants in Geochaching.

My swearing was probably more aimed at them than anyone and I do appologise for putting it in capitals, but the sentiment behind it remains I'm afraid.

I must admit that if I found a bucket after a long day's walk to a site I know what I'd need it for :-)
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:26
heheheh what did they say about leaving explosives in the buckets? ;O)
Kaipaith
27 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:27
Damn... I've only been here five minutes and it feels like all I'm doing is defending one of my other pastimes. That's not the case, but I do have to say this...

Part of the Geocaching ideology is that cachers should not *ever* damage local terrain. That's both the placers, *and* the hunters.

When a cache is at a monument, the cache (I won't call it a bucket.... it never is. It is usually far smaller, and often a micro cache in places of interest) is often placed a fair distance away, at a location that provides a nice view of the monument and/or local surroundings.

You'll have also noticed on the front page of the site the motto: "Cache In - Trash Out" which all cachers, to a certain degree, try to follow. In toher words, if they see rubbish on the way to the cache, they'll help clear it up.

I must reiterate: Geocaching does not seek to damage sites of interest, and if it is found to do so at any location, take it up with the webmasters at that site, as they can ensure no further damage is done, and take action against those responsible.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:28
I think McG just removed the blatant advertising content - afterall censorship is not a nice thing, but necessary to maintain the quality of the info on there.

If any of you want to vote the churches off I suggest an email to ed@.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 22, 2003, 12:30
I was thinking more along the lines of what a *relief* it would be to find a bucket on the moors.
Kaipaith
27 posts

Re: Oh,thanks
Jan 22, 2003, 12:31
Perhaps I should clarify further, and then I'm off to explore the website.

All Geocaching containers are appropriatly marked, often with contact details....

Do you know, I'm fed up of trying to explain that pastime. It's all common sense. It doesn't do *anything* to damage terrain, (unlike Letterboxing, where the box is often buried) it provides an opportunity for people to find areas of interest they might not otherwise seek, and it does *nothing* to infringe upon other peoples enjoyment of an area.

Anything that may be construed as dangerous is either clearly marked otherwise, or not welcomed in the sport.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index