The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Yorkshire wolds

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moggymiaow
121 posts

Yorkshire wolds
Dec 25, 2002, 01:28
is there a books specifically on the sites on the wolds, or is there anyone amongst you that consider yourself an expert, or even more informed than most will do.
Just wondering cos the Wolds is on the doorstep and I am remarkably uninformed about the area and want to rectify that
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Yorkshire wolds
Jan 04, 2003, 22:55
Well looks like they won't admit to it but I would say Fitzcoraldo and Brigantesnation are your best bet. (apologies to any others that I've missed out). Don't know much about the area myself but plan to spend some time there this year as it's not that far from me either. I hope to be at Thornborough tomorrow but don't think I'll have enough time for the wolds.
Anyway as they're on your doorstep its up to you to become the MA expert, so go to it! And let us know what you find :)
-Chris
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 20:50
As Chris says Moggy - it's down to you.
I'm getting to grips with the top half of NYM and branching across out across the Pennines and hopefully into Northumbria.
As far as I'm aware, there are no current guides apart from the national guides.They tend to see the east coast of England as a bit of a desert although people like Francis Pryor and Stan Beckensall are changing that view. Pryor for his excellent Seahenge book which illustrates the rich bronze and iron age cultures that existed in the fenland areas. Beckensall for his excellent rock art guides.
It's up to you Moggymatey..... and don't forget to post it.
P.s I'm still trying to find something on Studfold..with no luck so far!
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 20:58
Odd coincedence me and Fitz replying at the same time.

I have been avoiding the territory of the Parisii, simply because I still don't know enough about Brigantia.

However I have got guide a few site specific guides and some other stuff, but not a regional survey of the kind you are possibly looking for. What sort of stuff turns you on?
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 23:03
What turns me on? now there isa leading question if ever there was one...

but seriously stuff like Rudston monolith is fairly well documented, but I was interested in the more mundane stuff such as this lot

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=490000&Y=457500&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&scale=50000&advanced=&multimap.x=180&multimap.y=228
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 23:26
There's a lot of those earthworks in that area, if you zoom the map out 1 level then this is in the bottom left corner - I think its part of the same system.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=5673

No idea what they're for or how old they are - not very old I would suspect as they would be easily ploughed out. I sure somebody will know though.
In the meantime the best way to find out is to go and find out for yourself - then let us all know. :)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Not So Old?
Jan 06, 2003, 13:18
I don't know. It's very 'cursor'-ish isn't it!?

Any history of battles there? but again it doesn't look defensive. but again it could have been substantially ploughed down already!!!!

It reminds me of a badly documented earthwork to the west of the Hill Of Tara, which is assumed to be defensive, but there is an original break in it to allow a stream to pass through .... hhhmmmm
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Not So Old?
Jan 06, 2003, 14:27
I don't know what the other earthworks are like, but that particular one is only about a foot high and 5-6 feet wide. It looks like one run over with a plough would pretty much wipe it out. It might be drainage related? Or somebody dug it to put a pipe in but never finished the job?
It was only because it was in an area with a lot of round barrows that I posted it in the first place.
-Chris
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 06, 2003, 20:31
pretty good photo that, it is just down the road, perhaps it is worth a visit. som earthworks in the area are just below the ege of a hill and despite not being particularly deep have survied because the plough just cant get em.

I don't suppose you can recommend any books, I really nowt at all about earthworks , I wouldnt have a clue as to what their possible uses could have been.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

More questions than answers
Jan 06, 2003, 20:34
Two things strike me here.
1. There may be a connection with these earthworks and the dyke systems a few miles north on the margins of the NYM e.g. scamridge and the lesser dykes (of which there were many stretching from Scarbro' to Sutton Bank) and that the vale of Pickering was a lake and then a series of Carrs then this area was part of the habitable higher ground. Given the fondness for building earthworks displayed by the tribes a few miles north could this not be more of the same?
2. Does Rhiannons posting on "cattle ranching in the north" have any bearing here?
Just a couple of thoughts
p.s. enjoyed your thornbro' posts Chris
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index