The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Yorkshire wolds

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Yorkshire wolds
Jan 10, 2003, 19:05
Those dates sound fair enough, maybe they were altered/reused later on as well, as the one in the photo looks very 'fresh'.

BTW I'm based in the cultural backwater of North Lincolnshire.
-Chris
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jan 10, 2003, 19:10
.... toxic waste, animal traps, irate farmers - hell, I can find all of those within a 20 minute walk from my house ;-)
Thanks for the warning anyway cookie :)
-Chris
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 10, 2003, 21:16
well it looks like there is no quick solution for info on the wolds, I guess it could be half the fun finidng it out
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 10, 2003, 21:35
I have been to this lost, just to the NE of the ones you mention.

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=486000&Y=457000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=25000&right.x=28&right.y=5

I really couldnt fathom them out, they are noit very high and some seem no more that bult up paths going up the hill. The ones lining the tops of the hill, seem just a little too far down to have been defensice.
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 22:33
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=10730

Yup, thats a pretty nice piece of earthwork. Any more ideas what it might be?

BrigantesNation - you got any thoughts on that?

Having seen the picture now, my money would be on the boundary (not necessarily defensive) theory. But as I said before - I know nowt about these things.
-Chris
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 23:41
well at the mo I am drawing up a map of the various earthworks in the are that arent marked on OS maps, looking at the various other earthworks in the area, I would say that it was definitely defensive. As far as I can deteremine just about every hill top in the areas had earthworks protecting them. Strange in someways as I read that the Parisii that inhabited them were peace loving, but then I don't suppose the neighbours were necessarily of quite the same mindset
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 09:36
I'd suggest checking out Huggate church.

I looked at it last night and I was thinking along that same lines as Moggy - the shape and use of the contours indicate quite a large defended area (although it's difficult to say from the pics).

What does the 1850 map show?
moggymiaow
121 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 20:46
I'm honoured BrigantesNation that you agree with me on this
Having spent quite a bit of time recently in that area I would say it is definitely a fortified hill area, there are a lot of fortifications that are visible on the ground, connected with this that I have been out looking at.

What in Huggate church is worth looking at?
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 21:18
I always check the churches, it's location would suggest lost antiquity that may be reflected in older carvings re-used as part of a later re-build. ften we get "Celtic Heads", these are either Roman or IA carvings reused in later churches or later carvings that inherit local pagan customs and imagry. I have found both kinds, although they are often difficult to tell apart.

That's not all to look for in churches, the object is to establish that the environs of the churchyard was a "holy" place in our prehistoric past. Clues will come from Roman remains, head and other pagan carvings, ancient crosses (in some cases these may have been carved out of standing stones), proximity to wells etc.

In some cases, the church houses real antiquities (barrow finds) that have not been reported elsewhere.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jan 21, 2003, 21:26
Not to be confused with gargoyles and Norman chaps mind.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index