Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2017, 21:18
Re: Change?
Jan 25, 2017, 21:17
Was only thinking of little tweaks - adds not taking offs if toolbar allowed. And intervention by TMA Ed has, as some others have observed, been praps lacking, imo. Yup, light touch, but both eyes shouldn't be out the window or on mobile. Not accusing, just principle. I assume its a paid job. This really i s my last comment on topic. I hope responses remain absolutely constructive. Keep those coming. Any 'pops' can go elsewhere. Not accusing a n y o n e. Principle again. Something good may come of this. If deemed near perfection reigns, fine by me. Off to get drunk. Can't say why, but I've earnt a beer today. Bye.
TMA Ed
615 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 21:39
Hello Spencer,

The TMA Eds contribute their spare time to the site, it's not a job.

We have no admin control over the site layout, design, etc, that sits with the webmaster, but mainly deal with inaccuracies, site duplications, moving posts to more appropriate sites, and tidying sites up.

We don't check everything that gets added or posted, after all it's a community site with published submission guidelines, and it depends on contributors wanting to contribute, but if you see something that you think is incorrect, please flag it up to us and we'll look into it. Also we will pick up suggestions made about the content side of the site.

All the best,

TMA Ed
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 15:22
moss wrote:
.....So perhaps TMA as a resource is still growing, is still in its adapting stage, finding new sites and caring for them. You cannot stop it in full flow and reorder it into something new.

I'd agree with that. I see the paper tome as the introductory, very idiosyncratic precursor to a much, much larger undertaking, one - to all intents and purposes - without an end: the identification, attempted understanding and, above all, the appreciation and preservation of the tangible remnants left behind by the prehistoric pioneers of the UK and Europe.

That book captured my imagination precisely because it DIDN'T employ the tediously dry - often prohibitively so - point scoring, pseudo-academic discourse of any other archaeological work I'd picked up beforehand (the occasional dry wit of Aubrey notwithstanding). I've always held the opinion it's rather easy to become an expert upon something that will never allow definitive resolution of even such a basic question as 'what was a stone circle for?'. Cope was clearly coming at it from a different, irreverent direction with, crucially for me, an emphasis upon how these places made him FEEL combined with an altruistic, all-inclusive clarion cry to the reader to go and see for themselves.

It was the format of the book which I believe enabled Cope to share his enthusiasm so vividly, so I see no reason why the format of the website should change. I hope he - and those who give up their own time in support - feel the vision was worthwhile.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 17:13
GLADMAN wrote:
moss wrote:
.....So perhaps TMA as a resource is still growing, is still in its adapting stage, finding new sites and caring for them. You cannot stop it in full flow and reorder it into something new.

I'd agree with that. I see the paper tome as the introductory, very idiosyncratic precursor to a much, much larger undertaking, one - to all intents and purposes - without an end: the identification, attempted understanding and, above all, the appreciation and preservation of the tangible remnants left behind by the prehistoric pioneers of the UK and Europe.

That book captured my imagination precisely because it DIDN'T employ the tediously dry - often prohibitively so - point scoring, pseudo-academic discourse of any other archaeological work I'd picked up beforehand (the occasional dry wit of Aubrey notwithstanding). I've always held the opinion it's rather easy to become an expert upon something that will never allow definitive resolution of even such a basic question as 'what was a stone circle for?'. Cope was clearly coming at it from a different, irreverent direction with, crucially for me, an emphasis upon how these places made him FEEL combined with an altruistic, all-inclusive clarion cry to the reader to go and see for themselves.

It was the format of the book which I believe enabled Cope to share his enthusiasm so vividly, so I see no reason why the format of the website should change. I hope he - and those who give up their own time in support - feel the vision was worthwhile.

Great post. And maybe the reason why Moss made the paper TMA and Burl the only two "set texts" in the desert island allowance?

Off the subject of changing the website, but I reckon you can't help learn *something* by spending lots of time at these places, you might get good at finding them for a start :) You might learn to see patterns in landscape placement, or construction similarities, or even about geology of the stones. But what you most definitely do not gain is an all-knowing expertise, any more than you do from reading lots of books really. If anything, there are more questions all the time, rather than answers.

I know it sounds like a trite cliche, but I've learned far more about myself from visiting sites than about the sites themselves. And they still keep pulling me.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 17:15
...despite the length of time some people seem to spend attempting to ruin it in the pursuit of 'superior knowledge'. Trans: pathetic oneupmanship based on googling. If they were pulled away from the computer and asked a few questions wait and see how long it'd be before they faltered. And ye shall know them by the trail and number of their posts. Google pathetic. Means, iirc, w i t h o u t looking it up, deserving of sympathy. I'm increasingly struggling to find that. And I D O have your measure. Yes, you. Don't push it. I was bullied in a playground by people by you. I won in the end. Am, thank fuck and whoever, much, much better now. You: you just can't resist reading, can you. I know you are now. You can't help it, can you. Always hovering, waiting for the chance.... I love archaeology. This does NOT, repeat NOT depend on the volume of reading. Or pretend reading. I am not sure what you're relationship with this hobby is. R e a l love, that I doubt. A means to an end, a vicious balm for your inferiority is much more likely. I know I am not held in contempt here by quite a few, for which THANK YOU, nice people who remain. You, matey, you very probably are by far, far, more. REAL contempt. R E A L contempt. Including from many who went and would LOVE to come back. Still there, hovering, like you. Digest that for a minute. Or three. This forum was great. That it is not now is down to you and one or two 'ickle' mates. How many birthday cards or greetings do you get from people here? I haven't noticed any of the latter. There's a bloody good reason for that. I want this forum to be great again and am by no means alone. You know that. Plenty of evidence. This topic and my post and the replies tgat it prompted for a start. Dispute that. You cannot. I did not pay or ask them to. And I know you're still reading because you just can't help it. It is you that needs the help. Please go and get it. I've had mine and am better. It works. Most of it I did myself. Try it. Don't even think of replying to this because in doing so you will only be revealing yourself to be what you really are even more, you who loves 'evidence'...and the very, very few acolytes you have. Plain to see. The evidence is there. Reams of it. Absolutely fucking unquestionable: no further 'evidence' needed. If you can't take it then you shouldn't have dished it out. Pity you haven't learnt that. And I know you're still reading.... And ye shall know them by the trail of their posts. There for all to see..the normal ones, anyway. It ain't pretty. Payback time. Several years overdue, thanks to spineless Eds who c o u l d have done something but did not..a quiet cautionary email away from public gaze, for a start. Nope. Bugger all, it seems.... Julian must be SO proud of you and this mess you have made of his baby and love. Have this post back, 'matey' and 'chums': ........... NAFF OFF. NAFF OFF N O W
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 17:45
Jan 28, 2017, 17:44
spencer wrote:
...despite the length of time some people seem to spend attempting to ruin it in the pursuit of 'superior knowledge'. Trans: pathetic oneupmanship based on googling. If they were pulled away from the computer and asked a few questions wait and see how long it'd be before they faltered. And ye shall know them by the trail and number of their posts. Google pathetic. Means, iirc, w i t h o u t looking it up, deserving of sympathy. I'm increasingly struggling to find that. And I D O have your measure. Yes, you. Don't push it. I was bullied in a playground by people by you. I won in the end. Am, thank fuck and whoever, much, much better now. You: you just can't resist reading, can you. I know you are now. You can't help it, can you. Always hovering, waiting for the chance.... I love archaeology. This does NOT, repeat NOT depend on the volume of reading. Or pretend reading. I am not sure what you're relationship with this hobby is. R e a l love, that I doubt. A means to an end, a vicious balm for your inferiority is much more likely. I know I am not held in contempt here by quite a few, for which THANK YOU, nice people who remain. You, matey, you very probably are by far, far, more. REAL contempt. R E A L contempt. Including from many who went and would LOVE to come back. Still there, hovering, like you. Digest that for a minute. Or three. This forum was great. That it is not now is down to you and one or two 'ickle' mates. How many birthday cards or greetings do you get from people here? I haven't noticed any of the latter. There's a bloody good reason for that. I want this forum to be great again and am by no means alone. You know that. Plenty of evidence. This topic and my post and the replies tgat it prompted for a start. Dispute that. You cannot. I did not pay or ask them to. And I know you're still reading because you just can't help it. It is you that needs the help. Please go and get it. I've had mine and am better. It works. Most of it I did myself. Try it. Don't even think of replying to this because in doing so you will only be revealing yourself to be what you really are even more, you who loves 'evidence'...and the very, very few acolytes you have. Plain to see. The evidence is there. Reams of it. Absolutely fucking unquestionable: no further 'evidence' needed. If you can't take it then you shouldn't have dished it out. Pity you haven't learnt that. And I know you're still reading.... And ye shall know them by the trail of their posts. There for all to see..the normal ones, anyway. It ain't pretty. Payback time. Several years overdue, thanks to spineless Eds who c o u l d have done something but did not..a quiet cautionary email away from public gaze, for a start. Nope. Bugger all, it seems.... Julian must be SO proud of you and this mess you have made of his baby and love. Have this post back, 'matey' and 'chums': ........... NAFF OFF. NAFF OFF N O W

Thanks for calling me an 'acolyte' because I don't think your post was actually aimed at me. Spencer, I suspect someone else has loaded the gun you are firing. Your post is just rude, not to mention paranoid - I'm disappointed that you have chosen to make it. I thought your recent contributions were well made and interesting - now I really don't think I can be bothered any more. Life is too short.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 18:00
"And maybe the reason why Moss made the paper TMA and Burl the only two "set texts" in the desert island allowance?"

Yes;) it seems to me that books are built on other books, no one picked up on the other 6, I made a start this morning, then had to take the dog to the vet..I will defend Cope's book, because it was original with essays and is called The Modern Antiquarian, the play on the word 'Antiquarian', when you realise the vast amount of books written before has always pleased me.

Mike Aston who first introduced me to the archaeology of the place where I lived, can’t remember the title of the book but it was about North Avon/Somerset. He was, as we all know a popular television person in his role on Time Team. Setting out to bring archaeology to the public, not a bad undertaking.

Jodie Lewis – Again local, she wrote a book with the rather grandstanding title, ‘Monuments, Ritual and Regionality: The Neolithic of Northern Somerset’. Stanton Drew, Stoney Littleton and all its satellite long barrows were there, nothing complicated.

The next book/excavation was one on Keiller’s excavation of Windmill Hill and Avebury, the painstaking excavation of all the individual ditches round Windmill Hill making them into family plots grabbed my attention..,

Alisdair Whittle – Sacred Mound, Holy Ring; A book borrowed from the library, pig bones buried in the post holes, a long list of the plants underneath Silbury opened up the world.

Books that opened my mind to specific places.... slightly jumbled but still
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 18:06
Hey, cut the anger and be positive ;) it is up to all of us to make TMA what we want.............
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 18:27
Not familiar with Jodie Lewis, I've only dipped a toe into Somerset on a few occasions, it would be nice to find a decent gazetteer for the area.

I must admit most of my favourite archaeo(ish) books other than the Big 2 are regional rather than national or international in focus. I like books that are constantly useful, and easy to dip in and find out something, usually about a particular place or area.

In a similar vein the books that really got me going when I first started were couple of books about the Peaks (John Barnatt in particular) but most of all a series of little, beautiful booklets of walks to stones in West Penwith by Ian McNeil Cooke, which were sort-of compiled to make the Journey To The Stones book. I coupled those with Craig Weatherhill's Cornovia and Belerion, to make an almost unbeatable coverage of the west Cornwall sites in a very accessible gazetteer form, much like TMA and Burl really.

Since then I've often wished other counties or regions were so well covered in such an accessible, non-technical way. Over the years I've got some very good Welsh gazetteers (the HMSO books covering the four branches plus some lovely books on South- and Mid-Wales produced by the Logaston Press, all of which seem to be out of print now).

For Dartmoor you can't beat Jeremy Butler's exhaustive study in five parts with lots of plans, plus the lyrical writing of Crossing's Guide To Dartmoor from the early years of the 20th century. For Scotland I've yet to find anything as accessible or useful as Audrey Henshall on chambered tombs, but nothing comparable for other site types. There are a few others for other areas, but these are the stand-outs.

On a non-archaeo front but related to getting out and about, I've found Tony Leaver's "Pronouncing Welsh Place Names" and a couple of Welsh dictionaries invaluable, especially when I have to get the bus to somewhere out of the way!

Sorry, strayed off topic badly, but to try to close the circle, I'd say the paper TMA and also this website work so well for me because they are useful and practical guides aimed at the enthusiast not the expert.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 18:39
thesweetcheat wrote:

I know it sounds like a trite cliche, but I've learned far more about myself from visiting sites than about the sites themselves. And they still keep pulling me.

I think that might well sum up the appeal of TMA for a number of others, too. Certainly me. It's the human element that's paramount for me, not individual site detail. These constructions were erected by anatomically modern people like us, with hopes and dreams perhaps mirroring ours - at least at a base level? - but who rather annoyingly didn't leave any other clues/indications of what they thought/felt behind for prosperity. Maybe this mystery epitomises the 'so where do I come from/what does life mean/where am going' conundrum some of us just can't help exploring... where better to contemplate such 'stuff' than at localised hot points, so to speak?
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index