Finds proceedure advice

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Finds proceedure advice
Jan 22, 2017, 02:49
I have been privileged to have been recently entrusted with the locations of sites, including circles, stones, rows and rock art, many unrecorded, many perhaps still to come, by a senior member of the ramblers in my area as he knows he will be given credit by myself as the original finder in all instances. He has, I think, realised that with the march of time he may not be going into difficult terrain again, and, having seen my previous treatment and photographic recording of one of his finds on TMA, where all discoveries will be made public first, decided that I'm competent enough to go out into the wilds and do what has to be done - my health willing. I hope to get as many sites as possible inspected. My worry is that an undesirable element may venture out as a result of places becoming public and d***ct, dot dot dot. The first site he's tipped me off about has already made my jaw drop, now I've fieldwalked it: a probably Bronze Age fortified settlement 400 yd across in a city wood where many people walk their dogs every day, oblivious of what they're treading on or those changes of level and lumps of rock sticking out of the leafmould. It's a whopper, and, I must admit, that it's been under peoples noses in plain sight is an amusing couterpoint to apprehension. It's not just his sites I'm twitchy about - one of mine, yet to be inspected, is, I think, possibly rather good too. What's folks here's opinion about sites such as I've just mentioned or cairn cemeteries..the non megalithic type of site: publish and be damned, OK some shit may happen, always a risk, or, alternatively, keep forever zipped: tip off the official bodies and leave it at that? I'd love in an ideal world to broadcast that city site after inspection, but as it stands I haven't dare even rake away the leaves and debris so I can take better pictures : (
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Finds proceedure advice
Jan 22, 2017, 07:49
Being logical think I would involve the local/city archaeologist and ask his opinion, there is always a risk of stuff being built upon unless recognised. You maybe have to draw up a map to show what there is and write it down what you think the various stuff is. All very exciting but it will take a long time as Sanctuary will no doubt tell you.
Great stuff though....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 08:45
Jan 22, 2017, 08:42
spencer wrote:
I have been privileged to have been recently entrusted with the locations of sites, including circles, stones, rows and rock art, many unrecorded, many perhaps still to come, by a senior member of the ramblers in my area as he knows he will be given credit by myself as the original finder in all instances. He has, I think, realised that with the march of time he may not be going into difficult terrain again, and, having seen my previous treatment and photographic recording of one of his finds on TMA, where all discoveries will be made public first, decided that I'm competent enough to go out into the wilds and do what has to be done - my health willing. I hope to get as many sites as possible inspected. My worry is that an undesirable element may venture out as a result of places becoming public and d***ct, dot dot dot. The first site he's tipped me off about has already made my jaw drop, now I've fieldwalked it: a probably Bronze Age fortified settlement 400 yd across in a city wood where many people walk their dogs every day, oblivious of what they're treading on or those changes of level and lumps of rock sticking out of the leafmould. It's a whopper, and, I must admit, that it's been under peoples noses in plain sight is an amusing couterpoint to apprehension. It's not just his sites I'm twitchy about - one of mine, yet to be inspected, is, I think, possibly rather good too. What's folks here's opinion about sites such as I've just mentioned or cairn cemeteries..the non megalithic type of site: publish and be damned, OK some shit may happen, always a risk, or, alternatively, keep forever zipped: tip off the official bodies and leave it at that? I'd love in an ideal world to broadcast that city site after inspection, but as it stands I haven't dare even rake away the leaves and debris so I can take better pictures : (

Hi Spencer...

If you have a HAR (Heritage At Risk) officer for the area I would contact them first. He/she will be obliged to pay the claimed sites a visit with you and in all probability will already know of the presence of some of them. Then again, maybe not!
Keep it low key initially so that the sites are not made public until much further on for the reasons you mention.

Good luck with it all and I hope you are able to 'get involved' as there is nothing better than getting your hands dirty.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 10:39
Could you provide a link to your friends find that was shown here previously , please ?

Has an archaeologist never been shown these possible sites ?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 13:54
Jan 22, 2017, 12:21
Sure. Just search for More Hall on TMA. Disregard my flowery prosed fieldnotes, which are, in part, bollocks, and will be corrected soon.. I would have amended them many months ago, but in doing so my giving original finders credit could have been interpreted by the gentleman concerned as a belated ingratiation prior to face to face introduction by a very helpful intermediary which has now occured. Neither of us are, in a way, over gregarious, I think. He has notified the correct people of a fair few, but follow up site visits are of an unknown number. More Hall was indubitably notified. Judge for yourself from my fieldnotes what practical impact that had. I have seen his photographs, and these are not possible sites, but definite. It is the comprehensive followup including digital photography and fieldnotes that had to happen now, and notification or renotification if information has not been sufficiently absorbed. My inclination based on More Hall, is to start from scratch. Not his fault. As for site visits, I know that, for example, the Peak Park's archaeological field survey work has effectively ended through lack of funds, a tragically widespread phenomenon currently, and only sites at risk are investigated, and outside companies do any digging prior to say, roadworks, this work, I think, funded by the developer. I do hope, however, to be able to get a hugely experienced retired professional to run an eye over at least some of what I refind or find if his family commitments etc permit, but everything, without exeption, will be properly notified, and my question, which was the subject of this topic, was advice regarding divulgence criteria. I know and will follow the means of notification. I read in TMA news last autumn of your many rock art discoveries, 650+ iirc, and am interested in what criteria you have used when deciding which to enter on TMA and which not to.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 13:39
I remember that from the time , a nice new addition .

Has an archaeologist never been shown the other possible sites ?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 14:02
Please see my post above yours which, edited, now contains the answer to your question..we seem to be inadvertedly leapfrogging posts, and I was editing while you were posting. As for More Hall, yup, damn nice site, now very much on the official radar as I took a top bod I'm fortunate enough to know to see and record.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 14:10
The criteria for my TMA entries is mostly whether the pics are photogenic .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 14:45
Fair enough ..I've found stuff in deep heather, made multiple visits and photographic attempts and still have nothing uploadable. Six feet away and they disappear or stones interlinkage with their neighbours does. Very frustrating. Pics, agreeing with you implicitly, count for a lot. There was, through gritted teeth, something to be said in favour of heather burning, a declining practise. I need a drone my way. O/T, I've played Mr MacKenzie today. A huge loss, imo : (
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 14:59
spencer wrote:
Fair enough ..I've found stuff in deep heather, made multiple visits and photographic attempts and still have nothing uploadable. Six feet away and they disappear or stones interlinkage with their neighbours does. Very frustrating. Pics, agreeing with you implicitly, count for a lot. There was, through gritted teeth, something to be said in favour of heather burning, a declining practise. I need a drone my way. O/T, I've played Mr MacKenzie today. A huge loss, imo : (

To clarify, it's more the content rather than the quality of pic that is the criteria for me . So a very clear pic of three cup marks would lose out to dull pic of something more interesting .Fwiw , nothing against drawings and rubbings but I prefer pics .
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index