Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: 'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar
Jan 16, 2017, 00:16
CianMcLiam wrote:
spencer wrote:
Just to flag up the link to this posted by tomatoman over on TMA. Moss has commented that she has learnt more from it than the current series, and, since I've managed to miss the latter so far, I no longer feel lacking. A truly excellent piece, imo. Well done, Archaeology Institute of America's feature writer .. http://www.archaeology.org/issues/61-1301/features/327-scotland-orkney-neolithic-brodgar

It's a really nice piece. Thanks for the link. I still can't fathom why no archaeologist has publicly expressed the likely function of the site as a large fortification.

Maybe it could be explained ,that , like a lot of monuments it has a history ,with buildings being built over earlier buildings , others collapsing etc .The hope /expectation seems to be that the earliest monument was a chambered cairn .
The earliest dates so far are c.3512 BC (and they are still digging ) and the first enclosing wall is believed to be about 500 years later , so a fortification description is not likely to be applicable at that point . Contemporary Skara Bare and Barnhouse have nothing suggestive of of fortification and although we know the period probably had plenty of inter personal violence there is no sign of any warfare or weaponry as was obvious at some CE 'S .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index