'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar
Jan 13, 2017, 10:51
Just to flag up the link to this posted by tomatoman over on TMA. Moss has commented that she has learnt more from it than the current series, and, since I've managed to miss the latter so far, I no longer feel lacking. A truly excellent piece, imo. Well done, Archaeology Institute of America's feature writer .. http://www.archaeology.org/issues/61-1301/features/327-scotland-orkney-neolithic-brodgar
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: 'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar
Jan 13, 2017, 11:07
spencer wrote:
Just to flag up the link to this posted by tomatoman over on TMA. Moss has commented that she has learnt more from it than the current series, and, since I've managed to miss the latter so far, I no longer feel lacking. A truly excellent piece, imo. Well done, Archaeology Institute of America's feature writer .. http://www.archaeology.org/issues/61-1301/features/327-scotland-orkney-neolithic-brodgar

To keep right up to date , see the daily blog in the digging season .
http://www.orkneyjar.com/archaeology/nessofbrodgar/
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 13, 2017, 11:25
Cheers
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 07:40
Well Spencer as I have been quoted for my usual enthusiastic response to archaeology discovery, it is only fair to mention that Tomatoman has put another link on from Caroline Wickman Jones, which is also very interesting...

https://www.mesolithic.co.uk/

Here she says;

"There is no evidence for any geographical ‘preferencing’ prior to around 3500 BC, except to say that populations in the north seem to have had their own roots and these roots may not always have been the same as those of the populations in the south. By 3500 BC the economic basis of life across Britain has shifted to farming and, curiously, current evidence suggests that something happens in the north to springboard a series of developments in cultural and social life which spread, pretty quickly, southwards. So the north had it first. Some might see this influence as culminating in the construction of monuments like Avebury and Stonehenge. Only after this do we begin to see the increasing social power of the south and it is a long time before it extends fully to encompass the north. My own hunch is that this power shift is related, among other things, to the increasing importance of external contacts and the way in which the proximity (and ease of access) to the continent allowed society in the south to develop."

"The north had it first", was, and is, the thing that grabbed my interest over the Ness of Brodgar. Mike Pitts is of course right in what he says in the other thread, more respect for these early ancestors and perhaps respect for these archaeologists who spend whole pockets of their life devoted to excavation.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 09:40
The Ms. Wickham -Jones blog is great but the one thing that the "north " could argue for convincingly ,Grooved Ware doesn't seem to get mentioned , and all the other earlier monumnet dates from the south and west e.g. Causwayed enclosures and Long Barrows conveniently get ignored.

Surprised to see no mention of the interpersonal violence evidence from prog two , too .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 11:28
What I hope exists already - it's been something that occured to me recently but I've yet to check - is an frequently updateable online parallel timeline of carbon and example dated discoveries in the UK and Ireland...a means of stepping back and comparing in order to get the bigger picture...a holistic approach, for want of a better phrase. We may possibly understand our forebears better as a result. If such a timeline does not exist then my personal opinion is that it should.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 11:34
I am unaware of one .
I have simply done one myself just adding to it as new dates come along .
Rick Schulting , Alisdair Whittle and Alison Sheridan in particular have been very useful in this regard .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 18:57
I was in contact with Alison last year when I needed some advice..a very nice, kind and helpful person prepared to give her time to someone far less learned.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 19:10
She was pretty central to the "Dating cremated bones project " a while ago , and later projects associated with the NMS , which has a remit that includes parts of Europe north of the Alps .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 14, 2017, 19:25
tiompan wrote:
She was pretty central to the "Dating cremated bones project " a while ago , and later projects associated with the NMS , which has a remit that includes parts of Europe north of the Alps .

And she was also one of the authors of the paper from November 2015 that provided the dates from Orkney that refined the chronology of GW .
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index