'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar

25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: 'MUST READ' article on the Ness of Brodgar
Jan 14, 2017, 07:40
Well Spencer as I have been quoted for my usual enthusiastic response to archaeology discovery, it is only fair to mention that Tomatoman has put another link on from Caroline Wickman Jones, which is also very interesting...

https://www.mesolithic.co.uk/

Here she says;

"There is no evidence for any geographical ‘preferencing’ prior to around 3500 BC, except to say that populations in the north seem to have had their own roots and these roots may not always have been the same as those of the populations in the south. By 3500 BC the economic basis of life across Britain has shifted to farming and, curiously, current evidence suggests that something happens in the north to springboard a series of developments in cultural and social life which spread, pretty quickly, southwards. So the north had it first. Some might see this influence as culminating in the construction of monuments like Avebury and Stonehenge. Only after this do we begin to see the increasing social power of the south and it is a long time before it extends fully to encompass the north. My own hunch is that this power shift is related, among other things, to the increasing importance of external contacts and the way in which the proximity (and ease of access) to the continent allowed society in the south to develop."

"The north had it first", was, and is, the thing that grabbed my interest over the Ness of Brodgar. Mike Pitts is of course right in what he says in the other thread, more respect for these early ancestors and perhaps respect for these archaeologists who spend whole pockets of their life devoted to excavation.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index