Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
Jan 06, 2017, 15:52
The point was that today our understanding of monuments and nature has led to a greater appreciation of their mysteries ,and that is not due to knowing less .

You or I might be delighted by the sight of a comet , but the point was that not everyone in the past would . The reason we would not be frightened by the portent is due to our understanding ,and that understanding has produced a more positive and joyful appreciation of the phenomena .

Similarly ,just as you may not see others as different from yourself , it's not that long ago when others did . We now realise , due to our greater understanding ,that race is a human construct and has no basis in science .

Whether delighted or frightened , the emotion will ultimately influence our experience ,a comet over Stonehenge seen today would be almost universally viewed as a great photo opportunity , neither the monument nor the comet having any negative associations except for a small percentage of the population . That is what is important to the experience , the intellectual baggage we bring to the perception of the phenomena . It's also fascinating how it can be ignored when discussing the experiences .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 15:54
Tjj , yes , the menu/recipe is not the meal .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 16:05
Good ole Emanuel ,and the architect was also the artist .
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2017, 16:12
Jan 06, 2017, 16:11
tiompan wrote:
Good ole Emanuel ,and the architect was also the artist .

Wow, I didn't realise that! I knew it was originally going to be a place to display his works, then the windows were bricked in after he'd decided it was to be his final resting place.

I also saw some of his stained-glass windows on two separate visits to the Cathedral: I attended Midnight Mass on the 24th and a Bach High Mass on the 26th. I really enjoyed singing O Come All Ye Faithful in Norwegian, which felt very strangely normal.

His brother's sculptures are pretty weird too, aren't they? ;-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 17:31
Will have a look at brothers sculptures was unaware of them .

Never been , it looks /sounds impressive , not far too from Orkney , Maaemo also sounds /looks good too .
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2017, 18:17
Jan 06, 2017, 18:08
I thought I'd made a big mistake by spontaneously booking three nights in Oslo over Christmas - I soon realised it really does close down (though some trams, buses and tube trains were operating). It was actually perfect, almost eerily quiet as though 99% of the population had been kidnapped*; peaceful, with blue skies, bright sun, lovely sunsets over the water...

I had carried food (and Whisky) with me, had an Interrail card and found a crazy deal on a hotel, and I think I spent around 20 extra pounds during three days there. (Gustav) Vigeland Park is free and open all year round, as is the fortress. The Cathedral services were free and it was under 5 pounds to get into the Emanuel Vigeland Museum!

Tromsø was a perfect contrast.

*Not that it would be "perfect" if 99% of the population had been kidnapped!

:D

PS Oh, that makes me sound so mean... I did contribute to the collection box in the Cathedral!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 18:51
Dog in fog wrote:

I had carried food (and Whisky) with me,

You must have been forewarned .
Sounds like you had a great time .
There has always been a gulf in pricing but if anything it seems worse these days .Don't have clue about housing , rents etc but the only thing that is cheaper for a Brit /southern European in Scandinavia afaik is , strangely , car hire .
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 19:50
tiompan wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

I had carried food (and Whisky) with me,

You must have been forewarned .
Sounds like you had a great time .
There has always been a gulf in pricing but if anything it seems worse these days .Don't have clue about housing , rents etc but the only thing that is cheaper for a Brit /southern European in Scandinavia afaik is , strangely , car hire .

I had half a pint of locally brewed bottled lager in a pub on the first night in Tromsø which cost 7 quid! :O The same beer in the supermarket was only just over 2 quid, which surprised me.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 06, 2017, 20:07
I recently bought some Swedish 1:25,000 maps and they were much the same price for the equivalent here .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Jan 07, 2017, 22:21
Dog in fog wrote:
Hi tjj,
I really have no knowledge about the positioning of sites being linked to astronomical phenomena. All I know is, it was ruddy fantastic! The sense of history and mystery was palpable, enhanced a thousandfold by the skies and surroundings.

Sounds like a great experience. I loved Orkney, will definitely be going back.
Different, but the same in many ways, I went up to Castlerigg in (very) thick fog one night a couple of years ago and I will never forget that experience. Complete silence and a grey shroud over everything. It was both frightening and thrilling, the sense of there being 'something' (I don't know what) there was so strong, and together with the knowledge, or imaginings of what took place there, it got all bit much!
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index