Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
Jan 10, 2017, 23:16
Dunno how easy it is to get into Inchindown but it is supposed to still be incredibly smelly , has to be worthwhile though .

Certainly no acoustic intention on behalf of the builders there .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 01:10
Thanks for checking...will hope for a repeat at a more salubrious hour, but should I wake up or be doing accounts or whatever then...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 08:37
Well I am not sure if this is going to be much help, but it is on Youtube in small format (why I don't know)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKAXngDP5w

Also alongside is the programme on a similar vein with Neil Oliver in 2014 but without the other minor actors.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 09:20
They are right about Camster but you are right as well. Like you I think its about the collective of people living in Orkney at that and maybe earlier times. Like anywhere else if you use to much trees then stone is all that is left but it looks like a combination of things got rid of them just like at Easter Island or anywhere else i.e Shetland, Faroes
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Jan 11, 2017, 09:26
Jan 11, 2017, 09:21
Islands are maybe just more vulnerable than anywhere else if not sheltered by the mainland.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 13:04
Ta. Bookmarked x
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 13:19
spencer wrote:
Ta. Bookmarked x

Here's the official episode guide. You can download direct from here as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08819tl/episodes/guide
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 11, 2017, 21:08
Very goutte of you. Cheers.
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Jan 12, 2017, 10:23
Jan 12, 2017, 10:22
Howburn Digger wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

In the artist's mausoleum I found myself in on Christmas Day in Oslo, of course I marvelled that a person or people with knowledge of physics and acoustics had built a place with a 10 second reverb effect!

tiompan wrote:
Good ole Emanuel ,and the architect was also the artist .

I am blown away with this weird coincidence and totally obscure synchronicity. I run a wee Music Tech Group at lunchtimes at the school I work... On Sunday last I grabbed some lovely audio samples from the Vigeland Mausoleum and some exceptionally lengthy echoes from the world's longest echo at Inchindown here in Scotland. We were messing with some Burns spoken word and these sounds and effects today.

http://www.freesound.org/people/acs272/sounds/250004/

http://www.freesound.org/people/acs272/sounds/214220/

I'm scared to look outside just now in case a comet flies over. How strangely strange.

I wish your class could have been teleported over there for the afternoon...

The beginning of the experience is very hushed. There is to be no filming, no photography, no mobile phones - you wear soft shoe coverings. You are entering someone's tomb!

The young curator holds the thick, metal door open for you and you stoop under the low doorway, your eyes trying to make out the shapes and details of the sculptures and paintings in the very dimly lit space. As the curator slams the door shut, a thrilling wave of sound crashes over you, before total stillness. (Sorry, getting a bit carried away!)

Remarkable. It didn't occur to me to record myself singing as I was totally 'in the present', and I'm glad.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 12, 2017, 10:24
drewbhoy wrote:
CARL wrote:
I enjoyed episode 2 although not as much as the first episode. It had a bit of a 'filler' feel to it although I thought the boat making experiment was very interesting. Hopefully the 3rd episode will finish on a high! Still the best programme on TV at the moment! :)

Yup loads of filler. The boat making and sailing was very good as was the whales and the Tomb Of Eagles. One bone found at the Ness is a leap of faith to compare it with the Tomb Of Eagles but maybe episode 3 will have more to say on the matter.

Yes the boat making and sailing was good but hardly suitable for transporting cattle and goods as was suggested. You would surely require a much more substantial and larger craft for that and more manpower!
Another claim I thought seriously open to question was the large animal bones directly under the floor paving which was possibly for 'ritual offerings' (the good old standby). I think there is a good possibility that those large bones were used to stabilise those paving slabs as the slabs rested on them and not buried in any way under the soil itself. Makes sense to me and a really practical way of disposing of them rather than seeing them as ritual objects.

Just saying...
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index