The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stubob

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nottsneil
1 posts

Re: Stubob
Aug 08, 2015, 14:00
I first met Stu when I began exploring the more obvious sites of the Peak District and discovered this site about 18 years ago. It then became apparent that there many more less 'glamorous' sites to locate so I bravely contacted Stu who was more than happy to take me around with him using his brilliant GPS...

As others have stated he was just such an unassuming, kind, generous man and we would meet up regularly in those days as he was in Matlock and me not far away in Nottingham. I dare say I was with him when a lot of his Derbyshire photos were taken that now appear on this site. I'm not a big website contributor but always looked out for his new uploads...

Big memories of Stu will always be him getting out his roll-ups and lighting up when we reached a site and then discussing what we were looking at. That and his mild fear of heights when we were searching for some obscure cave on a steep hillside or other...Stu used a walking stick in those days because of his bad back and would patiently walk as far as he could before stopping and then give me his camera to take a photo if he couldn't make it all the way!

when the peaks were done and dusted we still kept in touch and met sporadically when something new came up in Derbyshire or close by.....but Stu never changed. I will never forget that quiet knowledgeable voice off his...

I last saw him about 18 months ago when he took me to see a possible new standing stone, ironically not far from his home and we were discussing a trip to the South lakes.....something we always discussed but life got in the way as it always did.....I see that he finally made it!!

I will be making the short trip to Minninglow shortly,,,,,probably sit in one of the open cists and have a smoke with my mate Stu and say goodbye..

Cheers mate..I will see you there...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index