Stubob

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Stubob
Jul 15, 2015, 19:18
Where do you start?

I remember my first meeting with Stu, i wanted to find the elusive Bunkers Hill rock shelter, he wanted to come along to be sure i did, and as he did he showed me numerous other sites along the way that i hadnt visited before. In those days we'd both receive many enquiries each week regarding sites and that's how the Pecsaetan site was born. I began adding sites myself, but where i lacked in info you could rely on Stu to know all there is to know, so after a year or so he joined me at my request. He'd probably laugh reading this, but he'd often pm or email me in the early hours thinking he'd fucked up the website trying to add something, and he often did! A far better pre-historian than computer user, but we always got there in the end.
The site was supposed to cover South Yorkshire and Derbyshire, but in his never ending enthusiasm he wanted to cover Staffordshire too, and so we began.

Humble selfless and quiet, you'd never know at a glance one man could carry so much site info in his head, often reeling off fact after fact in relation to some unassuming cairn or other and the finds found there, that was him all over.

The world hasn't only lost a superb pre-historian, but one of the jolliest most genuinely friendly people you could ever meet, he'll be missed deeply by those who knew him and those who didn't but took advantage of his great knowledge of the Peak and surrounding areas, which he was all too willing to share with anyone having even a fleeting interest.

Sleep soundly my friend, till i can walk with you again some day.

Geoff. (Megadread/Harestonesdown)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index