The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stubob

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
kazza
1 posts

Re: Stubob
Jul 27, 2015, 16:41
I have written and deleted my entry to TMA forum repeatedly over the past week or so, with respects to my Husband Stuart, or Stubob as you know him. That is because there is so much I could say about him, which is quite the opposite of him you may agree! He was more of a ‘King of the One Liners’ kinda guy, which I see by your comments of how ‘unassuming ‘he was had clearly been picked up on.
I think his funeral on Thursday just gone was a fitting tribute to him, although he would have shied away from being the centre of attention. I think the 50 or so people that came to pay their respects to him, would have blown his mind! Also the many tributes from well-wishers too on top of that, especially from this site, did him proud. In fact a few of them were shared at his funeral, and I asked that a message sent to me from Fitz be included as it was an especially well worded, personal account of their ramblings together, which summed up perfectly his nature. It raised a couple of knowing laughs too, as I hoped it would.
I can’t thank you enough for your comments and tributes, which I posted a link to so that friends and family alike could appreciate the effort he put in to his passion for ancient history and the sentiments shared by so many like-minded people or perhaps I should say friends over the years of posting to this site.
I’m pretty sure a few eyes have been opened to his knowledge and expertise, people who only really knew the quiet but quick witted, happy go lucky side to him. His retention for facts was astounding whether it be for history in general, or motor sport, especially Moto GP – His other obsession! He could recall years, dates, makes, placing’s, names and other quirky snippets of info. too!
Stuart rekindled his love for visiting ancient places, in particular Bronze Age sites, over 10 years ago, following a back injury. Drs Orders were to take a light stroll, and keep mobile as this would help reduce pain. Needless to say as Stuart’s quest to research and find even the smallest sign of a forgotten place grew, so did the distance and difficulty of his expeditions. He suffered a lot physically for his art. The deeper the heather the longer he would have to take to recover, often needing to lie down for days at a time. But at least it focused his mind and lifted his spirits.
I am proud of his efforts and his postings to TMA are a lasting tribute to him, also the knowledge he shared means that his spirit still lives on through the people trekking off to find one of his hidden gems.
Me and the boys will be taking his ashes up to Minninglow one day next week, to say our farewells and set him free in the place he loved the most. His chosen place. So if you happen to find yourself upon that sacred ground, you might wanna say ‘A-up’, to Stubob. Nowt else needed, he would be fine with that, and take in the views all across the land he knew so well.
Thanks again folks, Karen xx
Any Donations to: www.biscuitfund.org
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index