Time to stop solstice stones access

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Time to stop solstice stones access
Feb 24, 2015, 12:23
The Curator of the stones updated the roundtable with damage from last years winter solstice; lichen removed, offerings, people trying to start a fire in a depression... Most significantly and disturbing though is there is now a strip of oil on every stone, they cant remove it and its visible from the path. Add that to the graffiti from last years summer solstice that was on top of axe markings that is still visible.

Its time we had no more stone access for solstice, as clearly some of the revellers cant be trusted not to ruin it for everyone. And I mean all people, not just the ones who rockup for solstice.

More here:
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/annual-vandalism-at-stonehenge-may-we-please-request-that-it-is-stopped/
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Time to stop solstice stones access
Feb 24, 2015, 19:06
Some of the comments suggest a range of opinion on the subject :)

I've never entirely understood the attitude EH take to the solstice visitors myself, particularly the summer solstice. Any arguments over religion are spurious at best. If you let that many people have access to the stones for one day, it seems like double standards to bar everyone else from them the rest of the time.

The current policy feels a bit like making an annual ritual sacrifice to a sea god or something. The thinking seems to be that it can be accepted because you only have to survive one night and everything will be okay again (until next time).

I do wonder if making the stones more accessible all year round (i.e. letting visitors inside the circle) might reduce the numbers who attend the solstice events, if part of the attraction is being able to get up close to the stones. Dunno if this is true though.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2015, 23:29
Feb 24, 2015, 23:01
juamei wrote:
The Curator of the stones updated the roundtable with damage from last years winter solstice; lichen removed, offerings, people trying to start a fire in a depression... Most significantly and disturbing though is there is now a strip of oil on every stone, they cant remove it and its visible from the path. Add that to the graffiti from last years summer solstice that was on top of axe markings that is still visible.

Its time we had no more stone access for solstice, as clearly some of the revellers cant be trusted not to ruin it for everyone. And I mean all people, not just the ones who rockup for solstice.

More here:
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/annual-vandalism-at-stonehenge-may-we-please-request-that-it-is-stopped/

Am very surprised there is not a wider reaction to this information. I wonder what sort of oil they are talking about on the stones and why ?? would anyone put it there. The time has come to place restrictions on numbers attending and to consider charging for the privilege of being inside the stone circle at the Solstices, even the Druids. I guess there is nothing to stop people having their all-night celebration in the fields outside of the Stonehenge, if they don't mind sheep sh*t that is.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2015, 13:17
Feb 25, 2015, 12:59
I've already made a comment on this and there are some interesting comments on the Heritage Action site which are worth reading (for anyone who hasn't).
English Heritage probably fear a riot if they stop people having access at the winter and summer solstices. The Druids think it is their right although everyone knows now it isn't. The word etiquette springs to mind - if only all the people attending gatherings were collectively respectful.

This comment caused a wry smile.
"Pull it down! Get on with your lives! That’s what the Ancients did 4,000 years ago… they abandonded (sic) it as meaningless. And got on with the Bronze Age. Stop living in The Past!"

Edit: Just seen this too - well done HA.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-31584718
dee
1955 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 13:25
I wonder if there are any photos of the damage
CARL
511 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 13:36
This is all rather ironic (in a sad way) considering on an 'official' visit inside the circle via the E.H. early/late visit (pay extra) you are not allowed to touch the stones. When I queried this with them last year I was assured there are stewards in place at the sostice to stop any damage occuring!! You couldn't make it up :(
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 13:52
Thanks June.
EH are pretty wimpy though aren't they? "Not typical".... what's that supposed to mean?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 13:55
Also.... "We have a team of stewards on-site throughout whose role includes preventing damage to the stones,".....

but they've failed every year for a decade!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 18:30
Exactly, this is my feeling about the double standards in evidence. If thousands of revellers are "safe" to let loose on the stones, then why are a handful of (paying) visitors not? Ridiculous.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Feb 25, 2015, 18:31
That's a great comment :)
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index