Stonehenge and its Environs »
Time to stop solstice stones access

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Time to stop solstice stones access
Feb 26, 2015, 18:18
Excellent. A press report that hasn't mangled the story!
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Onions-crayons-chewing-gum-oil-Stonehenge-got/story-26089702-detail/story.html
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 26, 2015, 20:42
TBH, this is the kind of cultural vandalism that we should be railing against, not access to an ancient monument a couple of times a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/26/isis-fighters-destroy-ancient-artefacts-mosul-museum-iraq

I'm sick of our heritage being pickled in aspic. Stonehenge has been around for quite a while, and it's taken it's fair share of knocks during that time (hell, didn't Victorians chisel off keepsake to take home). Historically, some of the biggest 'vandals' have been bloody archaeologist re-erecting stones and using concrete props etc... Things like the oil will degrade over time, even if it isn't breaking down straight away. I am horrified at how people behave at these sites, but I still agree to access without paying, to all sites.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2015, 09:24
Feb 26, 2015, 21:15
Monganaut wrote:
TBH, this is the kind of cultural vandalism that we should be railing against, not access to an ancient monument a couple of times a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/26/isis-fighters-destroy-ancient-artefacts-mosul-museum-iraq

I'm sick of our heritage being pickled in aspic. Stonehenge has been around for quite a while, and it's taken it's fair share of knocks during that time (hell, didn't Victorians chisel off keepsake to take home). Historically, some of the biggest 'vandals' have been bloody archaeologist re-erecting stones and using concrete props etc... Things like the oil will degrade over time, even if it isn't breaking down straight away. I am horrified at how people behave at these sites, but I still agree to access without paying, to all sites.

With respect Monganaut the points you make are not relevant to Stonehenge. Of course we should be railing about the Isis fighters destroying ancient artefacts in Mosul. And all the other barbaric acts perpetrated to terrorise. We should and we do ... tragically most of us feel powerless to make any difference.

Historically archaeologists/antiquarians have done a lot of damage not just by the use of cement (although not sure an effective alternative has yet been found) but much more so by excavations where prehistoric barrows have been left partially destroyed. None of this has a bearing on protecting Stonehenge - I cannot imagine why anyone would want to pour oil on the Stones in the name of celebrating the Solstice. This sort of wilful damage should at least carry a substantial fine.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 19:11
Maybe they could set up cctv around the stones. They'd have evidence for any wanton vandalism and be able to make prosecutions, as long as you can catch the buggers of course.

I still don't think the mindless acts of a few dicks should close access for the generally well behaved masses. The amount of 'ritual' crap I see, and 'offerings' left at numerous sites beggars belief. It isn't just Stonehenge that's under 'attack'. with the exception of the graffiti, I don't even think it's even wanton damage, just an ill advised and poorly thought through act.

Maybe EH or whomever is responsible for these places could draw up and locate at each site a plaque stating an expected code of conduct when visiting these special places.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 27, 2015, 22:47
Monganaut wrote:
Maybe they could set up cctv around the stones. They'd have evidence for any wanton vandalism and be able to make prosecutions, as long as you can catch the buggers of course.

I still don't think the mindless acts of a few dicks should close access for the generally well behaved masses. The amount of 'ritual' crap I see, and 'offerings' left at numerous sites beggars belief. It isn't just Stonehenge that's under 'attack'. with the exception of the graffiti, I don't even think it's even wanton damage, just an ill advised and poorly thought through act.

Maybe EH or whomever is responsible for these places could draw up and locate at each site a plaque stating an expected code of conduct when visiting these special places.

I agree other ancient sites do get vandalised - often by people who seem to have no perception that they are causing damage. Candles inside West Kennet Long Barrow come to mind. Stonehenge seems to be a unique case with the Solstice celebrations - although the stones are massive the site itself is quite small - unlike Avebury which remains free of any charge and seems to accommodate celebrations at the Solstices without too much hassle. I do recall being out there last summer leading up to the Solstice when there was a heavy police presence (with sniffer dogs) and warning notices about drugs.

I don't know if and how the Solstice is observed at other stone circles - Stonehenge is the one that gets all the publicity - I can understand why but have never had any desire to be there myself.
Mustard
1043 posts

Feb 28, 2015, 17:45
tjj wrote:
Monganaut wrote:

I agree other ancient sites do get vandalised - often by people who seem to have no perception that they are causing damage. Candles inside West Kennet Long Barrow come to mind. Stonehenge seems to be a unique case with the Solstice celebrations - although the stones are massive the site itself is quite small - unlike Avebury which remains free of any charge and seems to accommodate celebrations at the Solstices without too much hassle. I do recall being out there last summer leading up to the Solstice when there was a heavy police presence (with sniffer dogs) and warning notices about drugs.

I don't know if and how the Solstice is observed at other stone circles - Stonehenge is the one that gets all the publicity - I can understand why but have never had any desire to be there myself.

They'd have been better off leaving the festival in place. The festival wasn't bang on top of the stones, but now they've concentrated the revellers into a small area, with no festival to distract them. Silly.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

King Arthur responds
Mar 03, 2015, 18:10
King Arthur [Pendragon] said the likes of Heritage Journal were simply stirring up the issue of damage because they wanted the stones closed off again.

"Heritage Journal have been doing that since they were formed in the first place," he said. "Basically they're just a number of archaeologists who don't want 'the great unwashed', as they see it, anywhere near Stonehenge."

"Obviously we abhor the vandalism. We always keep an eye out for these sorts of things. From my point of view, as a druid and a pagan priest, it's not on," he added.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Archaeologists-don-t-want-great-unwashed/story-26113310-detail/story.html
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: King Arthur responds
Mar 03, 2015, 18:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
King Arthur [Pendragon] said the likes of Heritage Journal were simply stirring up the issue of damage because they wanted the stones closed off again.

"Heritage Journal have been doing that since they were formed in the first place," he said. "Basically they're just a number of archaeologists who don't want 'the great unwashed', as they see it, anywhere near Stonehenge."

"Obviously we abhor the vandalism. We always keep an eye out for these sorts of things. From my point of view, as a druid and a pagan priest, it's not on," he added.
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Archaeologists-don-t-want-great-unwashed/story-26113310-detail/story.html

Here is the response from Heritage Journal -
https://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/king-arthur-slams-the-heritage-journal/
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 03, 2015, 19:56
Always thought he was worth a laugh but he's no Count Arthur .
carol27
747 posts

Mar 03, 2015, 20:11
Pissposterous.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index