The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Detectorists

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Detectorists
Oct 18, 2014, 08:48
Sort of on-topic, anybody watching this on BBC4? I'm really enjoying it.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Detectorists
Oct 18, 2014, 09:00
She's too good for him!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 18, 2014, 10:06
Love it! Very well observed - down to the fairy lights at the Open Mic.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Oct 18, 2014, 10:27
Oct 18, 2014, 10:11
Brilliant and zany, the two actors portraying Andy and Lance are the best sad 'losers' I've seen for ages. Still makes me giggle the 'Google word/I/A settlement bit in the first episode.....

Edit; there is a psychic thread that runs through my soul, just seen this rather good review...

http://thepipeline.info/blog/2014/10/16/tv-review-detectorists/#more
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Oct 18, 2014, 21:28
Thanks for that. Enjoyed it on YouTube. Brit TV is as good as ever.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Oct 20, 2014, 20:15
In Episode 2 at around 3 minutes 15 seconds the tinkle of acoustic guitars and the comment "Feeling groovy" had me spraying my Cab Sauv across the room.
Brilliantly observed, Uber-nerdy, desperately sad and cringingly funny. Every character is sympathetically drawn and played.
I was on holiday in Galloway last week and found myself heading to bed on Thursday Night at 11.30pm feeling tired after a long day rambling the hills in the Autumn sunshine. I suddenly realised that I had missed Episode 3 of Detectorists! I found it was being repeated at 1.30 am and so had to wait up. It was worth it.
Great series. I just know six episodes just isn't gonna be enough.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 21, 2014, 03:36
But here's the crucial question: take away the detectors and could it be re-named "TMAers"?

;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 21, 2014, 13:25
nigelswift wrote:
But here's the crucial question: take away the detectors and could it be re-named "TMAers"?

;)

Don't see why not seeing they spend much of their time in the pub and ogling woman :-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 21, 2014, 14:05
nigelswift wrote:

;)

If the Open Mic night at the White Horse was anything to go by - it reminded me a lot of the Avebury Open Mics from a few years back - I would say so ... substitute the rivalry that goes on in the world of amateur (and professional) archaeology then - yes, TMAers would suit. It does have its moments of pathos.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 21, 2014, 14:34
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sort of on-topic, anybody watching this on BBC4? I'm really enjoying it.

Spoilsports!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/metal-detectors-object-to-digs-by-mackenzie-crook-at-dysfunctional-hobby-in-bbc4s-detectorists-9738842.html
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index