12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Cattle and Stones
Sep 30, 2014, 13:19
tjj wrote:

- I didn't know there were adders up there until I read the field notes on TMA.

And some...
We have adders all over the moors down here June and in the height of their 'season' I leave Chief at home. You soon know when they are about before even seeing one because the local vets put a warning out. The day before I paid my second visit to the Stripple Stones on Hawkstor Downs I heard of 5 dogs being bitten in the area. Three were farm dogs, the other two belonging to walkers. I can't imagine a worse place to be locally than the Stripples to have to carry a dog back to your car from if you go back over Hawkstor.
Just as an aside. Lyn, my other half, had a cracking collie called Fly who was a Championship Obedience dog. He got bitten by an adder which hung onto his top lip. Within 5 minutes Fly was unconscious and within 10 more was at the vets. He had no anti-serum so took Fly to Southampton General Hospital who did and thanks to their unbelievable efforts, saved his life. To the eye Fly completely recovered, but inside he was never the same dog. His work ethic faded although he always tried his best. He lived til 14 when the big C got him but he was a wonderful boy.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index