Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Re: Cattle and Stones
Sep 19, 2014, 14:05
Sanctuary wrote:
Lubin wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I'd just like to say I don't think making the cattle v stones issue a Cornwall v England issue is good tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gATug9hwsL0
In fact, it smells like a hijacking.

Introducing the cattle isn't an exclusively Natural England idea anyway. Next to me is a common that the National Trust are determined to turn back to it's original iron age state and to this end it has fenced the whole thing, cut down hundreds of trees and introduced similar cattle at a cost, I should think, of several million. Personally, I think it has been a bad idea but perleease, blame the strategy, don't dress it up as something else.

I haven't see the video but being from the area , South West , I go to Cornwall walking and cycling at least once a week and cattle is definitely not the answer. They tried it along the Coastal Footpath to keep it clear and had to stop as they not only didn't eat the right vegetation but churned the ground up so much it was a mud bath. They have since put horses in to try that and it seems to be working much better as they eat the gorse and other stuff. I have photos of Dartmoor from the 60s and it looks completely different from now as the horse population has dwindled dramatically leaving the vegetation to grow.

I was told off the other day for calling them horses when they are ponies :-)
I agree with you Lubin. Those lumbering huge Highland Cattle (much as I love them to look at) are like living bulldozers.

Yes of course my mistake. In fact the ones they have been using are Dartmoor Ponies. There are some on the Headland at Rame.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index