Manchester

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Manchester
Apr 15, 2014, 18:49
I shall be in Manchester on Saturday, so I'd love to know if there's anything prehistoric within a short distance (by train or bus) worth seeing that would fill a couple of hours? Failing that, there's the museum, which I haven't been to for a few years.

TMA is offering me a couple of barrows east of Hyde (visited fairly recently by Juamei), but there's not a lot else immediately obvious.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Manchester
Apr 15, 2014, 18:57
Short distance, no... If you had a day, you could head out to glossop or bolton and go up some moors.. Sorry not much help.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:22
juamei wrote:
Short distance, no... If you had a day, you could head out to glossop or bolton and go up some moors.. Sorry not much help.

Well, it might be. Should be in Manchester about 10, need to be back there in the afternoon no later than 5 realistically. Not wanting a really big or muddy walk though :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:44
Right, looking at it a bit more, with your Glossop tip in mind, Cown Edge cairn and Chisworth cupmarked rock, taking in the Picking Rods is definitely do-able. Worth the effort you reckon?
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:46
thesweetcheat wrote:
Right, looking at it a bit more, with your Glossop tip in mind, Cown Edge cairn and Chisworth cupmarked rock, taking in the Picking Rods is definitely do-able. Worth the effort you reckon?

Funnily enough I recommended it as a nice circular walk to someone today :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:48
juamei wrote:
Funnily enough I recommended it as a nice circular walk to someone today :)

Brilliant, job done. Weather forecast = scorchio. Trains from MCR only take 20-25 mins to Broadbottom, thanks J :)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:48
There is also Dove Holes, bit longer on the train, but you get a henge and a couple of barrows (about 20mins walk from dove). Plus a further 45 mins on from them a hillfort...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 19:51
juamei wrote:
There is also Dove Holes, bit longer on the train, but you get a henge and a couple of barrows (about 20mins walk from dove). Plus a further 45 mins on from them a hillfort...

Hmm, good thought. Don't necessarily want to stray too far though, in case of transport disaster. And I've just discovered that return to Broadbottom is £3.90 (off peak), so nice and cheap too.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 20:05
Good plan. Its about a tenner to Dove and about an hour on the train. You have mail btw...
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 22:12
Be nice to say hello at gig - I'll be wearing a factory pin badge on my lapel!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index