Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Manchester
Apr 17, 2014, 07:18
thesweetcheat wrote:

If you go on the National Trails website, there is a very handy distance measuring tool that I recently came across, which you can use anywhere (not just on a National Trail route).
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway/distance-calculator

I plotted at a circular-ish walk from Broadbottom up to Cown Edge, across to the Picking Rods then round by Brown Low and Ludworth Intakes and back to Broadbottom, it was just under 8 miles. I might not do the latter part of that loop anyway, so it would be less. Should be do-able though :)

Sounds good. Ludworth intakes is battered but still obviously a barrow, Brown Low is a treat but behind fences. The site page has some suggestions for who the owner may be istr if you don't wanna just hop and hope!
Spriggan
1 posts

Apr 17, 2014, 09:11
...............and if you need to rehydrate after your exertions may I recommend The Harewood, few yards down the hill from Broadbottom Station. It's a microbrewery, several hand pulled ales & ciders, and the only food on offer is pie, peas n gravy.
The Coombe isn't that far, but it's a long uphill grind up the old 'Monks Road'. Apparently a monastery in North Wales were granted the market charter for Glossop by one of the King Henry's and that's the route they took on their commute between the two..........
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Apr 17, 2014, 12:57
Nice one, thanks for the tip (and the info)!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 17, 2014, 18:32
Spriggan wrote:

The Coombe isn't that far, but it's a long uphill grind up the old 'Monks Road'. Apparently a monastery in North Wales were granted the market charter for Glossop by one of the King Henry's and that's the route they took on their commute between the two..........

I suppose where greater Manchester is now was mostly bog at that time, or part of the greater mersey estuary so turning left at charlesworth and heading west along the ridge would have made a lot of sense...
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index