24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Woodland site visits - picture tips
Sep 08, 2012, 16:52
thesweetcheat wrote:
Thanks both of you, that's all helpful.

The main difficulty with a compact with zoom (it's a five year old Panasonic Lumix TZ5) is that you don't really have control of f stops due to the zoom, nor is there an "aperture priority" or "shutter priority" option. All I can change is the ISO (which I generally have set as low as possible given the light available, say 200 max), shutter speed (which I have trouble getting to grips with) and exposure (which I must admit I tend to leave on auto). I don't really have enough knowledge of shutter speeds to know what I should be setting to in dappled light, and without a tripod slower shutter speeds are obviously going to lead to less sharp images anyway.

The thing about ISOs - at least it was the case with film...remember that? - is the higher the ISO number, the more detail you have in the image. I used to use ISO 25 back in the early 90's (every shot had to be on tripod), then the standard landscape ISO 100 when Kodak phased it out. ISO 200 was the general use film, ISO 400 that for indoor/low light work where precise detail (e.g for enlargements) wasn't a priority.

How the above relates to digital I haven't a scooby's - assume the principle holds true?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index