Woodland site visits - picture tips

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Woodland site visits - picture tips
Sep 07, 2012, 23:45
thesweetcheat wrote:
I love visiting wooded sites, but find taking pictures immensely difficult due to the light and shade and getting foliage, branches, etc into focus. When I get home and view the pictures on a laptop screen I usually find lots of out-of-focus shots.

I only have a compact camera with a zoom and no tripod, so apart from "buy a proper SLR" and "get a tripod", can anyone offer any tips for taking better pictures in these locations? I'd be quite happy to mess about with settings, as far as I can given the camera's limitations, but I don't really know what I'm doing. So that basically means ISO, exposure, shutter speed.

All advice gratefully received.

Depends upon a) the wind... b) light filtering through the canopy c) how still you can hold the camera without a tripod

If the wind is strong and the vegetation is moving around, the depth of field [i.e a high apeture number - e.g f22] doesn't really matter, since the foreground will be blurred anyway. If not, set the f number as high as you can while avoiding camera shake. Not easy, trial and error. Perch it on a rock or tree stump, perhaps.

Obviously the less light there is.... the longer the exposure, the more camera shake if a reasonable depth of field is set. I frequently need exposures in the region of 5, 6 ..... up to 30 seconds at f22. Sorry, but no-one can hold still for that time. Hence I've had to carry a tripod for 20-odd years now. Not too bad in the trees, but a bugger up Carnedd Llewleyn.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index