Woodland site visits - picture tips

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
scubi63
463 posts

Re: Woodland site visits - picture tips
Sep 07, 2012, 23:43
Hi TSC,
Without knowing the camera I can't be certain but it is probably increasing the aperture of the lens (reducing the f number) to compensate for the darker conditions. This has the effect of shortening the depth of field meaning those things really close or much further away can become out of focus. This is actually a really useful technique but you may be able to change the camera to slow the shutter speed (aperture priority mode) and keep the aperture with a higher f number (or try setting it to landscape mode). This will increase the depth of focus in the photo's but unfortunately the effect of doing this is increased camera shake resulting in blurred images!
Alternatively the camera may already be slowing shutter speed to compensate for the darker conditions also giving rise to camera shake.
Without a tripod the best ways to reduce camera shake is to support yourself and the camera when taking pictures. Use a post, rock, tree or branch that will stop the camera shaking when taking pictures at slower shutter speeds. Using a (clean) sock filled with dried beans can help when trying to support the camera and you can keep it in a jacket pocket.
Changing the ISO setting will a lower number (100?) will reduce noise and increase contrast in a picture but larger apertures and/or slower shutters speeds are required to get a correctly exposed picture. increasing ISO settings (1200) means faster picture exposure but noise and grainy exposures can start creeping in.
Don't forget most photographers mess with pictures after they take them. You can increase the brightness and contrast of your pictures on your pc/mac.
Changing the hue pushes the overall colour of the picture towards the red or the blue end of the picture with saturation increasing the colour vibrancy but reducing the spectrum of colours.
You can also increase the focus of pictures to make them look much more sharp.
My camera is always used in manual mode and I often under expose to bring out cloud definition. I then use my mac to bring the picture to life by changing the above settings.

:o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index