Penwith Visit

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Penwith Visit
Sep 08, 2012, 11:37
Have you been inside Pendeen Vau yet? We've never managed it, the cows put me off more than the claustrophobia!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:38
Could have been worse, they could have used bricks a la Tinkinswood, or just blocked it up like Chysauster's fogou.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:39
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[
The cup mark at tregiffian is huge isn't? A bit of a "bobby dazzler" to use a technical rock art term. :)

It certainly is
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TregiffianCupMarkedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCOj_m7rf_tuACg#5785746893406232050

When I drove up the road from the MM's I came to a lay-bye where I peered out over the hedge and saw the Pipers. Next to the lay-bye was a typical Cornish fieldgate...strung together with more baler twine than wood...so just walked across the rough grassed field to them.

Yes that's the decorated stone (replica) but there is also a huge cupmark on the capstone.

I found it quite sad to see the "decorated" stone in truro museum, it's a great stone and the replica doesn't come close, it's the same with the replica stone at bryn celli Ddu as well.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:41
It's sad, but on the other hand it's better than it being nicked, or having a silly plastic dome over it I guess.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:46
thesweetcheat wrote:
Have you been inside Pendeen Vau yet? We've never managed it, the cows put me off more than the claustrophobia!

I wrote this on my photo of the place, This is one of the most powerful places i've been in these islands, i believe people in the iron age tripped down here when it was no longer acceptable because we had entered the age of beer. Sit in here a few minutes and you realise that it doesn't really have an end, there may be stone there but it just seems to carry on, [ and iron age places don't often do it for me ]
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:47
thesweetcheat wrote:
Could have been worse, they could have used bricks a la Tinkinswood, or just blocked it up like Chysauster's fogou.

They say the lower levels of walling at belas knap are original, Don't they?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2012, 12:08
Sep 08, 2012, 11:52
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's sad, but on the other hand it's better than it being nicked, or having a silly plastic dome over it I guess.

The original seemed a lot bigger, [ have you seen it? there's a picture on the photo page of it. ] but thats because you can see it all and some of the replica is in the ground, have you seen the size of the original, it would take some nicking and i hate the domes as they're all rotting the stones in them, all the domes need something done soon!!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:54
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
There's a holed stone also not far from tregiffian but as I say I wasn't aware of it at the time of my visit.

There are several apparently, but I've only ever seen the gatepost one.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4822/choone_holed_stone.html

The others are supposed to be smaller, like the lovely ones on Kenidjack Common.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time. Living where I do that may be some time away sadly.
Orkney is next on my list but.. let's not go there just now eh? ;)

I sat at the Ring of Brogar during an annular ecilipse once, amazing time and place, go as soon as you can!!!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 12:24
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[
The cup mark at tregiffian is huge isn't? A bit of a "bobby dazzler" to use a technical rock art term. :)

It certainly is
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TregiffianCupMarkedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCOj_m7rf_tuACg#5785746893406232050

When I drove up the road from the MM's I came to a lay-bye where I peered out over the hedge and saw the Pipers. Next to the lay-bye was a typical Cornish fieldgate...strung together with more baler twine than wood...so just walked across the rough grassed field to them.

Yes that's the decorated stone (replica) but there is also a huge cupmark on the capstone.

Yes there is...I call it the birdbath :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 12:26
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[

It certainly is

I found it quite sad to see the "decorated" stone in truro museum, it's a great stone and the replica doesn't come close, it's the same with the replica stone at bryn celli Ddu as well.

I see where you're coming from but in this day and age and so close to the road it could have been nicked!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index