Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Penwith Visit
Sep 08, 2012, 10:31
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Even though it could easily be argued to be the least atmospheric site in Cornwall, something about Tregiffian really did it for me!
I hung about there for ages. Funny how sometimes sites you think are going to be merely a quick tick of the box turn out to totally captivate, and even though the decorated stone is a cast it still hit the spot with me.
That little corner of Penwith with the merry maidens, the pipers, Tregiffian, Ghun rith (spelling?), and Boleigh is out of this world.

Although I'd seen Tregiffian and the Maidens before, I am still amazed that some complete fool allowed a road to be built through the back of the chamber. I also spent a lot of time there ED because for what is now a small site it captures your imagination doesn't it. At the moment I'm enjoying just playing over and over the video I took of all the sites I visited, including of course Tregiffian. Did you notice the single standing stone just off the hedgeline over the road from the chamber?

Is that the holed stone? Wasn't aware of it on my visit and only read about it afterwards. One for next time. I visited Ghun Rith (I think that's it's name) in the hedge across the field but I don't think you mean that one?

I don't know Ghun Rith, or at least I'm not aware that I've ever visited it. I was stood on the grass above the Treg chamber and just swung the camera around to get a sense of the landscape when I spotted the standing stone only about 75 yards away across the road. No idea if it was holed as I never went over to see it. I did drive up the road to the east though for a couple of minutes to see the Pipers. You have to 'trespass' to see them (well the way I got in probably was) but I won't tell anyone if you don't :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 10:40
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
What did you make of Chysauster? I really loved it up there. Windswept, but so atmospheric!

Well to be honest I didn't appreciate it as much as I did Carn Euny. As I'd said previously, the IA doesnt do a lot for me, but I went to CE because of the fogou and I guess that spoilt it for me. It was immediately after visiting CE that I went to Chysauster but the appeal for me was not there sadly. I don't know why you have to pay to visit Chysauster because CE has more to offer for free! The main thing though is that you enjoyed it and I leart a lot more so we are both winners.

That's one thing about living near Chysauster, you can go in the back way when every bodies gone and watch the sun set for free, but the feeling of carn euny beats it hands down, i think it's mad that at the pay site the fogou is not restored and fenced off and at carn euny it's free and the fogou is brilliantly restored, you'd think they'd at least use some of the money they get at Chysauster to restore the fogou there, for this reason alone the place is a let down.

I totally agree with you bladup. Carn Euny is a real charmer, much more intimate and user-friendy I felt.
A question I was going to ask Alken because he seems really up with this time period, is did he think that in a 'smallish' community such as that at CE that there would have been a more 'intimate' relationship between the inhabitants in its early period? To me it had more of a family feel to it rather than a full-blown village.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 10:53
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Even though it could easily be argued to be the least atmospheric site in Cornwall, something about Tregiffian really did it for me!
I hung about there for ages. Funny how sometimes sites you think are going to be merely a quick tick of the box turn out to totally captivate, and even though the decorated stone is a cast it still hit the spot with me.
That little corner of Penwith with the merry maidens, the pipers, Tregiffian, Ghun rith (spelling?), and Boleigh is out of this world.

Although I'd seen Tregiffian and the Maidens before, I am still amazed that some complete fool allowed a road to be built through the back of the chamber. I also spent a lot of time there ED because for what is now a small site it captures your imagination doesn't it. At the moment I'm enjoying just playing over and over the video I took of all the sites I visited, including of course Tregiffian. Did you notice the single standing stone just off the hedgeline over the road from the chamber?

Is that the holed stone? Wasn't aware of it on my visit and only read about it afterwards. One for next time. I visited Ghun Rith (I think that's it's name) in the hedge across the field but I don't think you mean that one?

I don't know Ghun Rith, or at least I'm not aware that I've ever visited it. I was stood on the grass above the Treg chamber and just swung the camera around to get a sense of the landscape when I spotted the standing stone only about 75 yards away across the road. No idea if it was holed as I never went over to see it. I did drive up the road to the east though for a couple of minutes to see the Pipers. You have to 'trespass' to see them (well the way I got in probably was) but I won't tell anyone if you don't :-)

That's the Gun rith menhir, it fell over and was put back up a few years ago.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 10:57
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Right, thanks bladup, I have seen it then.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:00
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Aye as bladup says, that's the one.
There's a holed stone also not far from tregiffian but as I
say I wasn't aware of it at the time of my visit.

At the pipers I nipped across to the farmhouse and
knocked on the door to ask if it was ok to go and see the stones.
He was more than happy for me to go and have a look.

The cup mark at tregiffian is huge isn't? A bit of a "bobby dazzler" to use a technical rock art term. :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:05
Nice pictures!

I assumed that in order to corbel the roof you would need to use pretty large stones as they need to be big enough to overlap with each other, whereas the lower courses are built vertically so can use smaller stones. Not sure if that's right, perhaps Wideford would be a better person to ask as he knows a lot about drystone walling.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:13
Sanctuary wrote:
A question I was going to ask Alken because he seems really up with this time period, is did he think that in a 'smallish' community such as that at CE that there would have been a more 'intimate' relationship between the inhabitants in its early period? To me it had more of a family feel to it rather than a full-blown village.

I don't really know the answer to that. The whole peninsula is covered with settlements from this period (CE and Chysauster are the best known and generally best preserved, but there are big compact settlements elsewhere like Bosullow Trehyllys and scattered ones like Bosprennis, as well as numerous smaller sites). How closely related the inhabitants were is difficult to know without DNA evidence, but four courtyard houses presumably represents four families?

Perhaps an anthropological fieldtrip to the Forest of Dean by way of comparison might help establish how closely related a community can be :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:14
thesweetcheat wrote:
Nice pictures!

I assumed that in order to corbel the roof you would need to use pretty large stones as they need to be big enough to overlap with each other, whereas the lower courses are built vertically so can use smaller stones. Not sure if that's right, perhaps Wideford would be a better person to ask as he knows a lot about drystone walling.

Sorry to butt in but it may just be to do with the reconstuction, the higher you get the more of a reconstuction it is, and they never seem as neat as the original builders job, sorry if you intended this chat to be private but i didn't know this site was like that!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:14
Craig Weatherhill's "Belerion" notes that the fogou was filled with earth at one point and that part of the roof was restored after excavation.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:16
It's a forum! Feel free! :)

Yes, I think that reflects my second post, the roof has been restored so the stonework might not be so good. Do you agree that corbellling needs bigger stones though?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index