bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 08, 2012, 11:40
Re: Penwith Visit
Sep 08, 2012, 11:18
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
A question I was going to ask Alken because he seems really up with this time period, is did he think that in a 'smallish' community such as that at CE that there would have been a more 'intimate' relationship between the inhabitants in its early period? To me it had more of a family feel to it rather than a full-blown village.

I don't really know the answer to that. The whole peninsula is covered with settlements from this period (CE and Chysauster are the best known and generally best preserved, but there are big compact settlements elsewhere like Bosullow Trehyllys and scattered ones like Bosprennis, as well as numerous smaller sites). How closely related the inhabitants were is difficult to know without DNA evidence, but four courtyard houses presumably represents four families?

Perhaps an anthropological fieldtrip to the Forest of Dean by way of comparison might help establish how closely related a community can be :)

ha ha, it may be able to prove that down here still now, the best way i could describe it is some new blood would be welcome, but in some parts i think it may be a little past that happening, if you know what i mean [ apart from their own families no body would want to!!!! ]
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:18
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[
The cup mark at tregiffian is huge isn't? A bit of a "bobby dazzler" to use a technical rock art term. :)

It certainly is
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TregiffianCupMarkedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCOj_m7rf_tuACg#5785746893406232050

When I drove up the road from the MM's I came to a lay-bye where I peered out over the hedge and saw the Pipers. Next to the lay-bye was a typical Cornish fieldgate...strung together with more baler twine than wood...so just walked across the rough grassed field to them.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:21
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[
The cup mark at tregiffian is huge isn't? A bit of a "bobby dazzler" to use a technical rock art term. :)

It certainly is
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TregiffianCupMarkedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCOj_m7rf_tuACg#5785746893406232050

When I drove up the road from the MM's I came to a lay-bye where I peered out over the hedge and saw the Pipers. Next to the lay-bye was a typical Cornish fieldgate...strung together with more baler twine than wood...so just walked across the rough grassed field to them.

Yes that's the decorated stone (replica) but there is also a huge cupmark on the capstone.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:21
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
There's a holed stone also not far from tregiffian but as I say I wasn't aware of it at the time of my visit.

There are several apparently, but I've only ever seen the gatepost one.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4822/choone_holed_stone.html

The others are supposed to be smaller, like the lovely ones on Kenidjack Common.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:25
thesweetcheat wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
There's a holed stone also not far from tregiffian but as I say I wasn't aware of it at the time of my visit.

There are several apparently, but I've only ever seen the gatepost one.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4822/choone_holed_stone.html

The others are supposed to be smaller, like the lovely ones on Kenidjack Common.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time. Living where I do that may be some time away sadly.
Orkney is next on my list but.. let's not go there just now eh? ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:29
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
A question I was going to ask Alken because he seems really up with this time period, is did he think that in a 'smallish' community such as that at CE that there would have been a more 'intimate' relationship between the inhabitants in its early period? To me it had more of a family feel to it rather than a full-blown village.

I don't really know the answer to that. The whole peninsula is covered with settlements from this period (CE and Chysauster are the best known and generally best preserved, but there are big compact settlements elsewhere like Bosullow Trehyllys and scattered ones like Bosprennis, as well as numerous smaller sites). How closely related the inhabitants were is difficult to know without DNA evidence, but four courtyard houses presumably represents four families?

Perhaps an anthropological fieldtrip to the Forest of Dean by way of comparison might help establish how closely related a community can be :)

ha ha, it may be able to prove that down here still now, the best way i could describe it is some new blood would be welcome but in some parts i think it may be a little past that happening, if you know what i mean [ apart from their own families no body would want to!!!! ]

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa you saved me from saying that!!!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:31
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Nice pictures!

I assumed that in order to corbel the roof you would need to use pretty large stones as they need to be big enough to overlap with each other, whereas the lower courses are built vertically so can use smaller stones. Not sure if that's right, perhaps Wideford would be a better person to ask as he knows a lot about drystone walling.

Sorry to butt in but it may just be to do with the reconstuction, the higher you get the more of a reconstuction it is, and they never seem as neat as the original builders job, sorry if you intended this chat to be private but i didn't know this site was like that!

No no, not private at all. Sorry didn't mean to give that impression.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:33
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's a forum! Feel free! :)

Yes, I think that reflects my second post, the roof has been restored so the stonework might not be so good. Do you agree that corbellling needs bigger stones though?

I always to try feel free [ it's a little harder when the wankers are in power though! ] and its easier to corbel with bigger stones surely [ you can with smaller but it's about the weight as well isn't it? ], i think they nailed it at places like camster and maes howe [ knows how ] in the neolithic, and the stones in the other ia beehive hut you know well down here [ Bosporthennis ] are huge at the point the cobelling starts, this place doesn't have to many stones on the floor, so i don't know if it was taken apart for wall material or caved in on itself and then the stone taken away for wall material.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:34
thesweetcheat wrote:
Craig Weatherhill's "Belerion" notes that the fogou was filled with earth at one point and that part of the roof was restored after excavation.

Doesn't say much for the 'modern' builders does it!! Stone selection and placement is probable not how a stone waller would do it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 08, 2012, 11:35
I used to have my annual Penwith trip from York (8 hours by train), so you're not that far away!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index