113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Heritage embarrassments - gold medal
Aug 22, 2012, 08:43
VBB wrote:
In a rare moment of seriousness I would say having read Roy's book that I take my hat off to him and every non professional that so publishes in the teeth of mainstream archaeology. Roy has not only researched and formulated a view, without the informed companionship archaeological scholars directly benefit from, but has the testacles to put it in print and continue to argue his stance. Hats off!

Thank you for your comments VBB, tjj and Drew. Ever since I have been on this forum I have told listers not to hide behind their thoughts and ideas but to 'go public' with them as we have nothing to lose, unlike an archaeo. If you strongly believe in something like I did/do then express your views because you know as much as anyone when it comes to the Neolithic and only lack the tools and technical equipment available to the chosen few. We musn't sit back and think that there was anything 'magical and mystical' about the Neolithic/Bronze Age people because there wasn't, they were just normal people who put a great deal of effort into what they did at times. Such was their undertakings and achievements that to me it had to be of monumental (no pun intended) importance to them and possibly something we have yet not fully appreciated. I based my book on my own findings that they had an immense belief in the Afterlife, far greater than we ever imagined and feel they built their lives around it and planned it in every last detail. Of course I can't prove anything, who can in prehistory, but I feel they just didn't only believe in the Afterlife but did something practical (in their mindset) to reach it by building themselves a 'vehicle' to take them there! Didn't the Egyptians also have a belief in the Afterlife and isn't Silbury hill contemporary with the building of the Great Pyramid?
The publication of my book was funded completely by myself, advertised and sold by myself and has done very well thank you very much, so if it had failed I would have had only myself to blame. I wrote it to please myself in a way and only sought to get back what it cost me which I did in just a few short weeks whilst still getting off the ground so I have no complaints. If it made sense to some people but none to others then that's fine by me, but to those who have commented adversely toward it without even reading it I have no time for unless of course they have their own understanding of Avebury and will also bite the bullet and put THEIR opinions into print. Oh one last thing that needs clarification. I have never once considered or termed the claimed Earth Figure as a 'Goddess' which seems to be something the none readers have centered on in an attempt to tie me in with other authors ideas they see as being a bit flakey!
Sorry to take up the space and please don't see this as an advertising post which it certainly isn't. Avebury is behind me now in a publishing sense as I've had my say and sold as many books as I need without having to sell any more. The next project is already nearing completion and again to be funded by myself with the proceeds of A Lady In Waiting which I sincerely thank all who bought it for.
If you have something to say about your own research and findings then don't hold back. Get out there and publish it and to hell with what people think of you. Be true to yourself and have belief in yourself and your ideas.
We have/had some fantastic researchers on this forum who would sell books by the 1000's if they 'went for it'. Some refreshing personal ideas that need publication and not just confined to forums such as this. It has been mentioned before (by LS I think it was) that what a book we could write if we all contributed to it!
Cheers,
Roy
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index