Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Heritage embarrassments - gold medal
Aug 16, 2012, 11:24
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

We discuss things openly on this forum and try to be civil to each other and respect each others opinions. 30 years of research is not being hasty my friend. I don't do rudeness so look elsewhere if you want an argument. End of.

I'm not looking for an argument, and I don't appreciate your tone.
Read back. I was perfectly civil, but you accused me of being hasty in assumption.
I thought that amusing coming from somebody making so many assumptions himself. (and trying to flog them too)

"We discuss things openly on this forum and respect others opinions"

Ha. I've been reading this forum a long, long time. Well before you posted here 'my friend'. I know it rather well.

There are a few good posters here and a few who have had an axe to grind (if you'll forgive the expression) the latter poisoning the water for the former - with a consequence that the majority just don't bother.

Fair enough tjj. There has been a fair bit of stirring and argument on this board over the years. I think most forums suffer the same problem purely because of the medium itself. (It can be difficult interpret peoples motives without eye-contact or body language, people sometimes feel they can say something they wouldn't normally becuase theres a sense of 'distance' between people on a forum, the forum is public so nobody wants to be made to look silly.. etc etc on and on)

I think were all capable of biting at times, (I probably did a little bit with Roy there) and I enjoy a good debate with some healthy piss taking, but I suppose the problem comes when that becomes unbalanced. If somebody is constantly sniping or stirring (I've witnissed it here) or have a misplaced sense of entitlement (i've witnissed that here too!) making others feel uncomfortable or unable to contribute then people can be put off very quickly.

But my attitude would probably be "sod 'em" and lets get on with having a good chat. :)

Theres one or two very knowledgable people who should be here (Pete G for example) and one or two very fascinating people (Cropredy for example) who whose presence (in my view) stimulate discussion, debate, and present a much more rounded picture of the people, personalities and ideas involved in archaeology (and 'fringe' archaeology) than this forum currently does.
It's pretty flat here at mo. It would be nice if that were to change.

Anyway, rambling on.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index