Tigh na Cailleach under threat

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Tigh na Cailleach under threat
Mar 10, 2011, 00:06
Many of you will be familiar with Tigh na Cailleach or Tigh nam Bodach in Gleann Cailliche near Glenlyon, said to be the site of the "oldest uninterrupted pagan ritual in Britain". A planning application for a hydro-electric scheme in Gleann Cailliche has been submitted.

More details can be found on the Glen Lyon History Society's website:

"Planning permission was recently lodged for four hydro electric schemes that will forever transform the Gleann Cailliche and the surrounding landscape. Existing tracks will be upgraded to take heavy traffic. Power houses will be constructed, borrow pits dug and fresh tracks will be carved into the steeply sided slopes to weirs. An overhead power line will be run past the Tigh nam Bodach and down the side of Loch Lyon."

You can view the application details here (if that link doesn't work, go here and search for application reference 11/00061). Comments on the application will only be accepted until the 18th of March.

I would urge anyone who has an interest in this fantastic glen to submit a comment. As someone who doesn't generally get particularly misty-eyed or blown-away by sites, Tigh na Cailleach really does it for me.

While I'm in favour of renewable energy, I think any changes to this particular glen would spoil it and detract from it's uniqueness. I know that argument can be used for pretty much any place, but I do feel this is somewhere special.

There's an account of my walk through from Bridge of Orchy to the Tigh na Cailleach on my website here - it gives a sense of the remoteness you can experience in this glen, despite not being too far away from civilisation.

I thought Tigh na Cailleach was listed on here once, maybe I'm mistaken....
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Tigh na Cailleach under threat
Mar 10, 2011, 01:03
Oof! This is awful!

Incoming via Facebook... :)

G x
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 10, 2011, 08:55
BigSweetie wrote:

iirc there was a tacit agreement , due to other dangers , to keep quiet about it .
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 10, 2011, 08:59
tiompan wrote:
BigSweetie wrote:

iirc there was a tacit agreement , due to other dangers , to keep quiet about it .

Checking through and the expiry date for 'standard consultations' is a week today 17th March, with June 1st as validation day, No consultation of neighbours,( mind you on Andy's beautifully photographed walk did'nt see any) and the advertising runs out on the 18th March.....
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2011, 10:47
Mar 10, 2011, 10:27
tiompan wrote:

That rings a bell now G.

The list of planning documents can be seen here.

Of particular interest is the Neighbour Notification Plan which shows exactly how close the proposed scheme comes to the Tigh na Cailleach, and the Historic Scotland which basically says everything's fine because there are no designated or scheduled monuments in the vicinity.
summerlands
192 posts

Mar 10, 2011, 14:23
Have sent a comment.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 10, 2011, 20:58
I'm off there at the start of May combining a much looked forward to visit Tigh na Cailleach with some hill loch, trout-commando activities.

This is very worrying news for the Cailleach. Like many I am very much in favour of Hydro-schemes. My father built a lot of the switching gear for the original Hydro network built in the Highlands in the 1940's and 1950's. He spent long periods away from home during those years. The scheme was vast - not just a few dams with turbines and switching stations - but a vast system of tunnels connecting distant lochs and channeling water through chains of lochs over long distances. It is often only really utilised to cope with a surge in demand when the kettle goes on for Eastenders. It would be such a pity to wreck the peace the Cailleach enjoys for that.
I havent read the full proposal yet but I shall and will leave my comment on the application.
summerlands
192 posts

Mar 10, 2011, 21:14
Actually HD your post prompted me to wonder... I was always told the hydro capabilities were under-used in Scotland. So why are we building more? Precisely for those peaks do you think? Because the peaks have got higher?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 15:50
Howburn Digger wrote:
I'm off there at the start of May combining a much looked forward to visit Tigh na Cailleach with some hill loch, trout-commando activities.

It would be such a pity to wreck the peace the Cailleach enjoys for that.
I havent read the full proposal yet but I shall and will leave my comment on the application.

Well if people are leaving comments a good quote might be (culled from John Muir's site)....

Scottish Planning Policy (2010) states: “The most sensitive landscapes may have little or no capacity to accept new development. Areas of wild land character in some of Scotland's remoter upland, mountain and coastal areas are very sensitive to any form of development or intrusive human activity and planning authorities should safeguard the character of these areas in the development plan.”

( there does seem to be legislation out there to protect sensitive landscapes)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 12, 2011, 09:06
Mar 12, 2011, 09:02
BigSweetie wrote:
Many of you will be familiar with Tigh na Cailleach or Tigh nam Bodach in Gleann Cailliche near Glenlyon, said to be the site of the "oldest uninterrupted pagan ritual in Britain". A planning application for a hydro-electric scheme in Gleann Cailliche has been submitted.

More details can be found on the Glen Lyon History Society's website:

"Planning permission was recently lodged for four hydro electric schemes that will forever transform the Gleann Cailliche and the surrounding landscape. Existing tracks will be upgraded to take heavy traffic. Power houses will be constructed, borrow pits dug and fresh tracks will be carved into the steeply sided slopes to weirs. An overhead power line will be run past the Tigh nam Bodach and down the side of Loch Lyon."

You can view the application details here (if that link doesn't work, go here and search for application reference 11/00061). Comments on the application will only be accepted until the 18th of March.

I would urge anyone who has an interest in this fantastic glen to submit a comment. As someone who doesn't generally get particularly misty-eyed or blown-away by sites, Tigh na Cailleach really does it for me.

While I'm in favour of renewable energy, I think any changes to this particular glen would spoil it and detract from it's uniqueness. I know that argument can be used for pretty much any place, but I do feel this is somewhere special.

There's an account of my walk through from Bridge of Orchy to the Tigh na Cailleach on my website here - it gives a sense of the remoteness you can experience in this glen, despite not being too far away from civilisation.

I've been reading this post and re-reading it for the past couple of days now; there is something deeply unsettling about it. At first I thought I've never been there so therefore unqualified to comment. I took on board this sentence in your post ..."I would urge anyone who has an interest in this fantastic glen to submit a comment. As someone who doesn't generally get particularly misty-eyed or blown-away by sites, Tigh na Cailleach really does it for me." ...and didn't want to jump on the band wagon.

I do recall the discussion about Tigh na Cailleach a few years back and remember that people thought it so unique and precious it was better not to publicise it. Its ironic it now needs to be publicised to protect it. I've just read the Glen Lyon History Society link in detail (only had time to glance through it earlier) it had quite an effect. So although I'm a southerner who, though maybe back in Scotland later in the year, am unlikely to get the opportunity to visit Gleann Cailliche, I will email [email protected] with a comment.

Just when it feels as though we're all going to hell in a handcart and what's the point - you realise the point is that hopefully there will still be some wild and ancient places without the very large footprint of modern civilisation on it left for the generations that follow us.

Am away to write my email, hope I haven't waffled on too much.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index