Sep 05, 2011, 12:50
Well done!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Tigh na Cailleach under threat
Sep 05, 2011, 16:36
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Received an e-mail this morning that the planning application has been withdrawn, wonderful news.
Our thanks should go to Andy Big Sweetie for flagging this issue up and to all the people who sent in letters of objection to the application. Well done everyone.

cheers
f

Back of the net! Cashback! Spiceworld!
I visited the Cailleach and her family earlier this year -a wondrous hike, coupled with some hill-loch/ trout-commando fishing, some fine birdlife and blessed scenery. If you are fit enough to tackle it, you won't regret it!

This has gladdened my heart!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 05, 2011, 20:52
Terrific effort by all concerned. Sometimes, just sometimes, nobody dies.
summerlands
192 posts

Sep 13, 2011, 17:45
Got my letter from the planning office the other day, chuffed to bloomin bits!! :-D
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 13, 2011, 19:15
summerlands wrote:
Got my letter from the planning office the other day, chuffed to bloomin bits!! :-D

Great stuff Nicki.
Chappers
12 posts

Sep 13, 2011, 21:01
I got the letter as well - must be a requirement to inform those who expressed concern over the plans.

I kept an eye on the planning website and there was a long delay waiting for various consultation reports. The last one to come in was from Scottish national heritage and it raised major concerns about the environmental impact the hydro scheme and its construction would have in Glen Calliche.
It looks like the planning officer then advised them to drop this scheme so there would be more chance for the other schemes in less sensitive locations.

Reading the withdrawal letter it does look like they have fully withdrawn the application, - not just for a redesign.

".....however we have taken note of the considerable concern expressed by the local community and council regarding the particular sensitivites of this site and a decision made to withdraw the application"

- letter from mott macdonald 2/9/2011 - on planning website

Fingers crossed the place will now be left in peace
The Eternal
924 posts

Sep 14, 2011, 21:16
BigSweetie wrote:
Many of you will be familiar with Tigh na Cailleach or Tigh nam Bodach in Gleann Cailliche near Glenlyon, said to be the site of the "oldest uninterrupted pagan ritual in Britain". A planning application for a hydro-electric scheme in Gleann Cailliche has been submitted.

More details can be found on the Glen Lyon History Society's website:

"Planning permission was recently lodged for four hydro electric schemes that will forever transform the Gleann Cailliche and the surrounding landscape. Existing tracks will be upgraded to take heavy traffic. Power houses will be constructed, borrow pits dug and fresh tracks will be carved into the steeply sided slopes to weirs. An overhead power line will be run past the Tigh nam Bodach and down the side of Loch Lyon."

You can view the application details here (if that link doesn't work, go here and search for application reference 11/00061). Comments on the application will only be accepted until the 18th of March.

I would urge anyone who has an interest in this fantastic glen to submit a comment. As someone who doesn't generally get particularly misty-eyed or blown-away by sites, Tigh na Cailleach really does it for me.

While I'm in favour of renewable energy, I think any changes to this particular glen would spoil it and detract from it's uniqueness. I know that argument can be used for pretty much any place, but I do feel this is somewhere special.

There's an account of my walk through from Bridge of Orchy to the Tigh na Cailleach on my website here - it gives a sense of the remoteness you can experience in this glen, despite not being too far away from civilisation.

I thought Tigh na Cailleach was listed on here once, maybe I'm mistaken....

BigSweetie,

I read your post and immediately thought that I have to do something to help, as I know the area you refer to. The Highlands have been subject to many hydro-electric schemes without thought to the dustruction of, and/or the desecration of a special place in Scotland and Britain. We have ravaged a high percentage of the beauty that we have, and it has to stop before it's too late.

However, when I visited your link to the application, in order to comment, I came across this message: "It is not possible to comment on this Application. Only Applications currently under consideration are available for comment." Also, a field on the application entitled "Status" had the comment "Application withdrawn" in it.
What is the situation?

Cheers, and you have my support, if needed,
TE.
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Sep 14, 2011, 23:43
I don't know any more than that really, I received a letter from the council to say that the application had been withdrawn, so any threat seems to have gone for now at least.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Sep 15, 2011, 01:16
BigSweetie wrote:
I don't know any more than that really, I received a letter from the council to say that the application had been withdrawn, so any threat seems to have gone for now at least.

Well done Andy.
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 10:36
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-15496261
Planning application withdrawn.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index