Tigh na Cailleach under threat

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Tigh na Cailleach under threat
Oct 29, 2011, 22:21
This is such excellent and heartening news... :)

G x
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 22:29
Yup :-)
Chappers
12 posts

Oct 30, 2011, 21:46
nickbrand wrote:

A very sad end to this really ........I knew the application had been withdrawn but I did not know the applicant (Adam Besterman) had died.
May he rest in peace.

In some ways i am actually quite shocked by this turn of events.
Is this an example of the fate that befalls people who mess with ancient sites?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 30, 2011, 22:48
Chappers wrote:
nickbrand wrote:

A very sad end to this really ........I knew the application had been withdrawn but I did not know the applicant (Adam Besterman) had died.
May he rest in peace.

An unfortunate coincidence ... to believe anything else is giving into superstition.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Oct 31, 2011, 06:39
Oct 31, 2011, 06:23
Chappers wrote:
nickbrand wrote:

May he rest in peace.

Oopsy! I thought I'd stopped this from posting in time! It was an unnecessary post (see? I *do* self-regulate! :D You should see the amount of times I' ve written massive posts then deleted them at the last moment!) ;)

What I said was: Yes, it is very sad, but it will inevitably become part of the folklore of the place now - I'd not considered that! You can certainly see how these stories start...

G x
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 31, 2011, 10:12
goffik wrote:

Oopsy! I thought I'd stopped this from posting in time! It was an unnecessary post (see? I *do* self-regulate! :D You should see the amount of times I' ve written massive posts then deleted them at the last moment!) ;)

G x

Ditto :-(
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

May 04, 2017, 17:17
I thought I would give a wee update on this strange and remote place as it is in my thoughts just now. A friend died very close by here a few days ago. I found myself reading news reports and looking at maps and satellite images of the glen and adjoining peaks. I realised that the site doesn't have an entry on TMA. With all the fuss over the proposed development a few years back, the complete re-build of the shrine pretty much from scratch and some calls for a blackout on publicity about the Cailleach and her family (and new home) maybe we should have an entry on here?

Here was the shrine in August 2011.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rGrXv_7spfY/TlIewXdsEVI/AAAAAAAAA6s/4pZHifmvFTA/s1600/House+002.jpg

Here it is after the rebuild and repair team hiked in late August 2011 and made some extensive renovations and the guidance and expertise of Norman Haddow.

http://wallswithoutmortar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/tigh-na-cailleach-rebuilt.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-172-oSTB3Fg/T7FCJ1H40-I/AAAAAAAABOU/6AgJtHrgbdA/s1600/House+003.jpg

I'm gonna head in to see the Cailleach and her family at the end of May, so I'll get some new pics. Perhaps the site could go up here as one under "disputed antiquity"? It is an interesting little relic, maybe not so ancient now, maybe parts of it so, not much of its original construction exists but it was always being renewed each Spring anyway and re-roofed regularly too. It wasn't so much the "House" of the Cailleach which was important as much as the looking after of She and her family each year and giving them a secure house for the Winter. It isn't like the site is a secret or ever has been.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 04, 2017, 17:27
HD ,
the reason for the silence and keeping the profile as possible wasn't the danger to the original structure ( the new build matters little ).
Nuff said .
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

May 04, 2017, 17:44
Aye, for sure.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited May 07, 2017, 07:17
May 06, 2017, 11:18
Many of you will be familiar with Tigh na Cailleach or Tigh nam Bodach in Gleann Cailliche near Glenlyon, said to be the site of the "oldest uninterrupted pagan ritual in Britain". A planning application for a hydro-electric scheme in Gleann Cailliche has been submitted.

More details can be found on the Glen Lyon History Society's website:

"Planning permission was recently lodged for four hydro electric schemes that will forever transform the Gleann Cailliche and the surrounding landscape. Existing tracks will be upgraded to take heavy traffic. Power houses will be constructed, borrow pits dug and fresh tracks will be carved into the steeply sided slopes to weirs. An overhead power line will be run past the Tigh nam Bodach and down the side of Loch Lyon."

You can view the application details here (if that link doesn't work, go here and search for application reference 11/00061). Comments on the application will only be accepted until the 18th of March.

I would urge anyone who has an interest in this fantastic glen to submit a comment. As someone who doesn't generally get particularly misty-eyed or blown-away by sites, Tigh na Cailleach really does it for me.

While I'm in favour of renewable energy, I think any changes to this particular glen would spoil it and detract from it's uniqueness. I know that argument can be used for pretty much any place, but I do feel this is somewhere special.

There's an account of my walk through from Bridge of Orchy to the Tigh na Cailleach on my website here - it gives a sense of the remoteness you can experience in this glen, despite not being too far away from civilisation.

I thought Tigh na Cailleach was listed on here once, maybe I'm mistaken....

"I thought Tigh na Cailleach was listed on here once, maybe I'm mistaken."

Maybe because it has no validation as prehistoric, and because it is so special people wanted it kept quiet, but obviously not so quiet that this special place would get development.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index