Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The worst kind
Feb 18, 2011, 20:23
Littlestone wrote:
...in more modern-times it became a tapered or 'feather-edge' board

That’s very interesting Sanctuary.

There really is a lot of clapboard around here – some of it very old, and it fits nicely into the East Anglia landscape where stone has always been a scarce building material and rarely seen.

‘Feather-edge’ by the way has moved from an architectural term to one used in paper conservation, where the edge of the paper is pared down or ‘feathered’ in some other way.

Yes the 'feather edge' boards we use today for fencing or facing up barns/shelters/stables etc is normally 6" wide and has one edge of around 3/4" and the other about 3/8" (can't you tell I'm an old carpenter, none of this mm stuff!!). The old elm boarding with the wavy edge and about an inch and a half thick looks fantastic in the right setting.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 20:25
Was it only elm that was used?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 20:31
Littlestone wrote:
Was it only elm that was used?

No, but it was very popular because you got nice wide boards with lovely shapes to the edges, good grain and was long lasting. And of course there was plenty off it donkeys years ago. Oak became popular as well but mainly on the more expensive properties.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 20:41
Thanks.

This little diversion has got me more interested in clapboard. Will get some pics together between now and the Megameet – hope you can still make it for a clapboard chinwag (among other things :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:03
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

This little diversion has got me more interested in clapboard. Will get some pics together between now and the Megameet – hope you can still make it for a clapboard chinwag (among other things :-)

I'm certainly planning to! I retire on June 1st so won't have to get permission from my parents (god bless 'em) to go out anymore :D
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:19
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

LS, if you email me at:- [email protected] I'll mail you a photo of some nice elm waney edge boarding.
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:28
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

LS, if you email me at:- [email protected] I'll mail you a photo of some nice elm waney edge boarding.

You guys know how to live it up, eh. : )
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:30
megadread wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

Yes and I've not had a drop yet :D
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:31
Sanctuary wrote:
megadread wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

Me either. :hic: ; )

Btw, if your free, pencil in 22nd of June for that walk. ; )
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 18, 2011, 21:33
megadread wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
megadread wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks.

Me either. :hic: ; )

Btw, if your free, pencil in 22nd of June for that walk. ; )

Noted!
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index