Silbury Hill »
Grrr...

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
A R Cane
30 posts

Re: Grrr...
Jul 20, 2010, 13:05
I have to admit that in my less-enlightened youth my mates and I used to climb up Silbury Hill and sleep off excessive drinking in the Wagon and Horses at Beckhampton before cycling home to Wroughton! You can't always expect people to behave the way you'd like them to and sometimes only age and appreciation will open people's eyes.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 13:08
A R Cane wrote:
I have to admit that in my less-enlightened youth my mates and I used to climb up Silbury Hill and sleep off excessive drinking in the Wagon and Horses at Beckhampton before cycling home to Wroughton! You can't always expect people to behave the way you'd like them to and sometimes only age and appreciation will open people's eyes.

That's the most sensible post yet. Well said.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

hmmm.
Jul 20, 2010, 14:04
But surely if there's a sign, you know damn well that you're being naughty by climbing it. That might be why you're climbing it, in part? What's at the heart of this isn't blissful ignorance, because if you've already been told, albeit by seeing a sign (as at Silbury) or having some inkling about what the Done Thing is (as at Stonehenge) then it's just willful not-giving-a-shit.

Is not giving a shit really an excuse to pat someone on the head and say 'ah it'll be alright when they're older and wiser! bless them!'

I think they should install some snipers round the base.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 14:46
Resonox wrote:
Resonox wrote:
Resonox wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Resonox wrote:
megadread wrote:
Mustard wrote:
and my contributions to my own website

What website is that then. ?
Megalithis orientated. ?
Can i have a link to take a butchers. ?

Has a link been posted?...I'd like to browse as well.

Isle of Albion was listed on the Blogs and websites of possible interest thread in January this year (and an excellent website it is too).

TY
On second thoughts...........
If the mood of the site is anything like the "reasoned" arguments on this post in particular...I'll give it a miss if it's all the same!

How very reasonable of you.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: hmmm.
Jul 20, 2010, 15:04
Rhiannon wrote:
But surely if there's a sign, you know damn well that you're being naughty by climbing it. That might be why you're climbing it, in part? What's at the heart of this isn't blissful ignorance, because if you've already been told, albeit by seeing a sign (as at Silbury) or having some inkling about what the Done Thing is (as at Stonehenge) then it's just willful not-giving-a-shit.

Is not giving a shit really an excuse to pat someone on the head and say 'ah it'll be alright when they're older and wiser! bless them!'

I think they should install some snipers round the base.

Don't stop there will you...what about a few landmines as well LOLOLOL

Really I think we've gone far enough on this don't you?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 15:30
Point of info Rhiannon, it isn't a case of "having some inkling about what the Done Thing is (as at Stonehenge)" people have the "don't climb on the stones and don't litter" message hammered home to them each year so it seems pretty likely failure to comply is, as you say a case of "just willful not-giving-a-shit."

(Unless of course we are to swallow the theory that dancing on the lintols is some gits idea of respect! Perhaps not, eh?)
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 15:38
nigelswift wrote:

(Unless of course we are to swallow the theory that dancing on the lintols is some gits idea of respect! Perhaps not, eh?)

Hi Nigel.

If you want to discuss a comment I've made elsewhere, then maybe you could respond to that comment directly rather than referencing it inaccurately in snide digs? Just a thought.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 15:41
Especially at famous, obvious, I'm-deliberately-visiting-it sites like Silbury and Stonehenge. You don't climb up Silbury thinking it's an ordinary hill. You don't stand on the lintels at Stonehenge without knowing where you are.

Perhaps, maybe, whoever piled up those horse jumps at that stone Drew visited, they weren't thinking, they were so used to seeing that stone that they don't know what it really is, so they don't value it. Or like when I used to visit 'caesar's camp' when I was a kid and believed it was roman, I didn't really know what I was looking at. But that kind of blissful unawareness doesn't really wash at a massive site like silbury or stonehenge. Surely??
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 15:47
[i]But that kind of blissful unawareness doesn't really wash at a massive site like silbury or stonehenge. Surely??[i]

No, not at all.

;)

Although, that's not to say EH couldn't be more proactive in stopping it.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 20, 2010, 15:52
Rhiannon wrote:
Especially at famous, obvious, I'm-deliberately-visiting-it sites like Silbury and Stonehenge. You don't climb up Silbury thinking it's an ordinary hill. You don't stand on the lintels at Stonehenge without knowing where you are.

Perhaps, maybe, whoever piled up those horse jumps at that stone Drew visited, they weren't thinking, they were so used to seeing that stone that they don't know what it really is, so they don't value it. Or like when I used to visit 'caesar's camp' when I was a kid and believed it was roman, I didn't really know what I was looking at. But that kind of blissful unawareness doesn't really wash at a massive site like silbury or stonehenge. Surely??

But not everyone appreciates the consequences of their actions. I imagine that it's simply never occurred to many people that a bloody great big hill like Silbury is actually suffering from structural problems. Sure, I imagine there's a few selfish people who would just climb it regardless, but it's not a good idea to assume that everyone is that way inclined. I've had friendly chats with people in the past who I've seen behaving in inappropriate ways, and often, they've not understood why their behaviour was a problem until it's been explained reasonably to them. I find it often helps to look for the best in people rather than assuming that you'll find the worst.
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index